Remembering wet and warm....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
....like the waters off Grand Cayman and Papua New Guinea. Today was 30°s F ...and nothing to photograph, so I dream of warmer days....

All scanned slides... No auto focus, No auto exposure. Focus by estimating distance to subject. Water magnifies about 33% as I recall! Not much light past 30'...so I had dual strobes on my little range finder camera.

#1 hovering all Bloody Bay wall - Grand Cayman
cayman%20diverA-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Justin "petting" a manta ray during a night dive....Grand Cayman
Image4-X2.jpg

#3 Coral reef - Papua New Guinea
Image13-X2.jpg

#4 Another beautiful coral reef - Papua New Guinea
Image12-X2.jpg

#5 Beautiful coral and azure vase sponges - Papua New Guinea
PNG_reef-X3.jpg

#6 Bloody Bay Wall - Grand Cayman
Image10-X2.jpg

#7 Clownfish and anenome - Papua New Guinea Find the translucent shrimp on the right....
clownfishA-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Just as I wish there were more people here posting tabletop photography, I wish there were more people posting underwater photography. This is such a wonderful set! When did you take the photos?
Thanks, Mike. Scuba diving is the most exhilierating thing I've ever done! The underwater world is beautiful! So colorful and such a diversity! I dove between 2010 and 2015..... Started diving in So Calif in 50° or colder water. Full wet suit, etc. But the sun rays penetrating the depths through the kelp forests were stunning!

I was about 60' down for this shot... That's a girabaldi fish....brilliant orange.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I have always loved your variety of images including your underwater shots. The saying of “jack of all trades, master of none,“ does not apply to you. You are the Master of ALL!
I have not nominated for feature In ages, so I nominate this!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wow, what an adventure to do some underwater photography Karen, excellent work and well deserved for the front page.
Thanks so much, Louis! Underwater photography is definitely the hardest photography I've ever tried. So many variables. Lack of light and particles in the water so if your strobes aren't pointed just right, you illuminate all the stuff in the water. LOL! Distance distortions. Manual focusing challenges. And did I mention I HATE being in the water. When showering I make sure no water runs over my face! :eek: But I often dove up to 100' underwater and through long tunnels and was totally calm and relaxed. My air tanks lasted longer than anyone's. Go figure.....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have always loved your variety of images including your underwater shots. The saying of “jack of all trades, master of none,“ does not apply to you. You are the Master of ALL!
I have not nominated for feature In ages, so I nominate this!
Thanks so much, Wade. Did you notice the translucent shrimp on the right?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom