Remote access to parent's PC

M

Michael Mohrmann

I would like to be able to have remote access to my mom's PC, who lives 90 miles away, to perform some updates/upgrades remotely. I have no interest in file transfers, although if I did need a small file from her PC, I could always email it back to myself. Her PC and the one I would be using to access it with from my home are running Windows XP Pro.

I am looking at the free version of RealVNC (http://www.realvnc.com/). Would this work? Any other products/solutions to suggest? What risks would I be taking by setting up her PC for external remote access?

Thanks.

M

Michael Mohrmann

Or would using Window XP's Remote Desktop Connection be sufficient?

I've used Teamviewer to access my home computer while I've been traveling. Permits me to see what I'd be seeing on the monitor if I were still at home, run programs, look at files, etc. My home machine runs XP Pro, the laptops I use when traveling have used either XP Home or Win 7.

M

Michael Mohrmann

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out the products.

i use remote desktop connection wth all my machines after setting up a dyndns.org accoung to update my dynamic IP however that wouldnt be really effective for your scenario.

have a step on over to www.logmein.com

just have your mom go over to www.logmein.com and she can sign up for a FREE account and once she signs up and goes through the wizard it will install a service that always runs and loads with windows. she will establish a passcode unless her windows XP is already locked with its on password.

after that all you have to do is from any web enabled machine just go to www.logmein.com and sign in with her email and login credentials and you will see her machine listed and just click on the machine to remotely access her machine via your internet browser which also offers full screen functionality as well as dual monitor support. you will have full desktop remote access.

its simple and free and doesnt get much better than that.

the speed is fast too, almost comparable to remote desktop connection.

If you use Skype, your mother could "share" her desktop view with you and you can verbally talk her through what ever steps you need to make. It doesn't give you direct control, but you could see what was going on her computer (and see what she is seeing).

Another vote for Team Viewer. You can either get remote control of her computer while she watches, or you can give presentations to folks (teaching them Photoshop, etc) over the internet. Great little piece of software and best of all : FREEEEEEE! LOL I've fixed a few friends' computers with TeamViewer and like it because, once the window is closed, you need new passwords to start over, so your linked relatives and friends feel safe.

+1 for LogMeIn.
Been using LogMeIn Free for a few years and works great.
You can email a link for downloading and setting up the program on the destination pc and it is automatically tied to your account.

M

Michael Mohrmann

I managed to get Windows XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection to work (had to forward port 3389 on my mom's router). I set it up to only allow my account to remotely log in since my mom's account doesn't have administrator privileges (she would do immeasurable harm if she did).

I see all of the suggestions for LogMeIn since my last post. I will investigate it and see if it is a better solution.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom