Remote flash - Studio lighting outdoors with a model

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Photo, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I've been working with wireless flash use outdoors with the aid of a reflector. I wanted to use an off-camera SB800 like a studio keylight and accent it with natural light and a bounce or fill flash.

Here are a few samples from this past weekend. I used an on-camera master SB800 for fill -0.7EV, a key light remote SB800 at 0EV, and a reflector as a back/side-light. I metered for ambient daylight and adjusted down to -2/3 stop for most exposures. All shots with D2x and 28-70 AFS exposed manually

[​IMG]
    1/125 f/5.6 ISO 100

[​IMG]
    1/160 f/7.1 ISO 250

[​IMG]
    1/80 f/5.6 ISO 100

[​IMG]
    1/160 f/6.3 ISO 100

[​IMG]
    1/125 f/6.3 ISO 100

Critique away...

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    These are nice, I especially like the first two. Did you use the flashes in iTTL mode? If so, have you found the iTTL/CLS metering to be reliable? What about any modifier (umbrella, soft-box) for the off-camera main?

I got a second SB-800 a little while back but haven't had much opportunity to use them together yet. One thing I'm a little concerned about is pre-flashes; it's not too bad with just the on-camera flash but it seems like there's quite a bit more pre-flash activity with the CLS communication and so I've been wondering if manual/SU-4 might be the way to go. Then again the price premium on the SB-800 is in large part for iTTL/CLS so I hate for that functionality to go to waste. I guess FV-Lock could be useful here but I usually have AE-L/AF-L mapped to AF-ON (another reason to get a D2X I guess... :) )

Regards,

3. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Nice job Joe.
    I like number 4 love the way you go the lights setup. The models shadow matches the one in the garden behind.

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If you are worried about pre-flash you should use FV-lock. Hit it once and the camera and flashes do the pre-flash exposure work. Next time you capture there will be no pre-flashes. This works for a mostly static scene. If I were photographing nervous animals I would still use the wireless control but set the mode to manual.

5. Hi Joe, #1 and #3 are my fovorites. For #3 I would have bounced a little light back into the face of the model on her left side to soften the nose shadow. Well done.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I really like this girl's eyes, especially in #2!

7. I'd have to say that number 4 is my favorite. I like the shadow play. To me, the path behind her seems significant as well.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Love em all, Joe,

but not real wild about that tilted pillar in the 1st. Great job with those SB800's!