Remote for D200

The only camera store near me is Ritz photo, I picked up a few small items from them Sunday and then was back on Monday cause my kid dragged me to the mall so he could spend his Easter $$$. Anyway I asked if they had a remote cable release for the D200 and they said "Yes", they handed me a ML-L3 Infrared transmitter, I stated I didn't believe this was for the D200 but they insisted it was and for $18.00 I thought O.K. Of course after getting home and trying to use it unsuccesfully (doesn't come with any info in box) I seached the Nikon USA web site and found instructions on it's use and of course it was made to work on the D80, D70/s and D50 so I returned it the next day.

What bothers me the most is that an infrared remote unit ML-3 for the D200 costs almost 10X more money (175.00 NY pricing). Why is it, in a cheaper body you can get a nifty transmitter for $18.00 but when you get a D200, get ready to grin and bear it :biggrin: Sorry...just venting. - Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

fks

hi jeff-

the same reason you can't get a built-in flash on the pro bodies. IR remote is seen as an amateur feature by the japanese camera market, so you only find it on the consumer bodies.

another gripe is wireless communication; how can a $300 p&s have built-in wireless, but it's a $300 option on a $1600 DSLR! nikon loves to nickel-and-dime you.

ricky

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
That is the one feature i miss most about my D70 bodies, the built in IR remote feature.

I used it all the time with the d70, now I have a lousy cable! Grrrrr...

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Jeff
The MC-30 cable is a good and reliable way to go, especailly now that you have the 105VR coming

Hi Gang, Thanks for the links/comments all. Interesting to note I could swear when I looked at Nikons web site the MC-30 Cable release was compatible with the D200 yet when I was at Ritz photo tonight (again) their brochure/catalog listed this cable release under the D2X camera body and not the D200. Nikon sure manages to complicate things a bit. Guess I'll look to see who stocks the MC-30. - Jeff

MC-30 works fine with the D200. Just shot some test shots with the MC-30 and a Zap Shot (modified with the 10 pin plug).

B

BillRogers

Your experience is the same as mine. Ritz isn't a "real" camera store, and their clerks don't know squat about cameras.

Several years ago I was away from home, I forget where, and I needed a PC cord. The nearest camera store was a Ritz and it was about 20 miles away. I called the store on my cell phone and very, very carefully explained what I was looking for. I explained that, in this instance, PC meant Proctor-Compur, not Personal Computer, and I described the cable. The clerk assured me that, yes, he knew what I needed, and yes, they had one in stock. After a 45 minute drive in heavy traffic, I arrived, and the young man handed me a cable with USB connectors. Aaaarrrggghhhh. I killed him with my bare hands. The judge at my murder trial also was a camera buff who had shopped at Ritz, so I was acquitted. ;-)

Bill Waayyyyyyyyyyy too funny. I'm glad they let you off the hook but I think they should have given you a reward for eliminating a uneducated salesman. I have nothing against salespeople per se but if that's what you choose to do, learn the products or at least take the time to look things up. - Jeff

Another option exists - shooting tethered to a computer and use Nikon Camera Control Pro, cost = $69.95

You can use the USB cable that came with the D200 and conrtrol it from the computer.

Another option is using the WT-3A and Camera Control Pro.
With this you can control the camera wireless.
At a cost of $600 the WT-3A is an expensive option.

Bill,

ROFL - No big deal on the murder charge :Sheriff: for another dumb Ritz Camera stooge as even though the judge was a camera fan, you could have easily have cleaned your self out of their store camera images using PS! :eek:

Wireless Remote from Ebay

I am tempted by it too, not sure I want to get the one that is wired/wireless...I shoot in a group where a guy has that one for his Sony Alpha (he likes the 2 for 1 deal you get out of it). I would rather have a MC30 but the wireless Ebay one looks not too bad.

Latest threads

Top Bottom