Remote Shutter release recommendation

I am wanting to venture into doing night sky photography and was wondering what a good shutter release remote would be good to use with a Nikon D850. I am going to be in Zimbabwe in November and am hoping to get some shots there but lots to learn before then.

I have a vivitar that I used with my d700 and works on my d3s. It is simple to use and is RF so you don't have to have line of sight. It connects to the 10-pin terminal on the camera.
Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N60BKS/ref=psdc_3109898011_t3_B002N6935C
I don't know if that one in particular will work with the d850 but it looks identical to the one I have. The 850 has a 10-pin terminal I assume is the same as the one on the 700.

I prefer the cable releases for my D850...just fewer things to worry about going wrong in the field. I use the Nikon MC-30A remote trigger release. It runs about $65 at B&H Photo, but I usually buy my cable releases for about half that price on eBay.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have used the Vello remote shutter release for years and really like it. I especially like that I can loop the little cord through a O or D ring on my photo vest and never have to worry about where the remote is! Extremely handy when dealing with a lot of gear or - shooting in dim light!!!!!!! I believe they also make wired versions if you prefer that configuration.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your suggestions. I am going to look into all of these and figure out which one to purchase. At least it narrows the choices ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom