1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Remote shutter?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by stringbean98, Sep 11, 2008.

1. stringbean98

stringbean98

Jul 8, 2008
    NYC
    Hi guys,

Coming from a D80, I had the ML-L3 remote control to remotely activate the shutter. Now that i'm on the D700, i'm not sure what the best (lowcost) option is. Should I just get a cord? Or is there another wireless method?
    Many thanks in advance.

Anthony.

2. I assume the D700 has the same 10 pin connector as the D200. I bought a Phottix Cleon (make sure you get the correct version for your camera) direct from a Hong Kong seller via Ebay. It can be used wired and has a wireless transmitter. It arrived in less than 2 weeks. I've been using it all summer and it hasn't failed yet. Regular disclaimer: I have no financial interest either in the manufacturer or the seller.

Cheers,

Larry

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I just got an MC-30 remote cord shutter and it works great. I haven't decided if I am going to spend more on the wireless remote.

4. +1 on the Phottix wireless remote. Better than the ML-L3 because it's RF instead of IR (no line of sight required). Much longer range than the ML-L3 as well.

5. I have the MC-30 remote, too. It serves it's purpose and does what it's supposed to do. :smile:

6. stringbean98

stringbean98

Jul 8, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks for the help guys. I think i'm leaning towards the Phottix instead of the MC-30. For about the same price, i can have wired and wireless functionality. But of course, i know i'll be trading off in terms of build quality... sigh, choices, choices.

anyone know if the Phottix Mega is much larger than the cleon? Is it worth it? Or should i just go for the smaller one?

Anthony.

7. Cleon vs. Mega Cleon

The receiver of the "Cleon N1" I was sent can be mounted in the hot shoe and it has a nice long coiled cord like the "Mega Cleon N8".

What they are currently offering as a "Cleon N1" has a very short straight cord on the receiver and it looks as if the receiver can't mount in the hot shoe. The transmitters look different but the stated range is the same (100m).

Cheers,

Larry

8. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Where do you mount the Phottix receiver? Does it just hang by its cord or is there a hot shoe mount for it?

9. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    They make both shoe or non shoe mount..

10. stringbean98

stringbean98

Jul 8, 2008
    NYC
    I decided to go with the regular Phottix Cleon N8. Hoping it comes soon. Thank you everyone for your advice.

anthony

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.