1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Remote Trigger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I've done a search and couldn't find an answer to my question.

I'm researching the possiblity of remote triggering for my D70. I have the one Nikon makes..............and it works great. At least until the timer times out!!!!! Then I have to go back to the camera and reset it to receive the signal. :frown: Is there any way to make the camera accept the signal for an extended period of time (say an hour, for example) or can I buy some other trigger. I keep hearing about Pocket Wizards, but can't tell if this is their purpose.:confused: 

2. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I'm not clear on what you want to do. Do you just want to trigger the camera from a location other than at the camera? Then yes Pocket Wizards will work, but are expenisve. If that isn't it, let us know and we can help.

3. Sorry, Andrew, I thought my question was clear. Yes, I want to trigger the camera from about 35 feet away (Maximum) and not have to keep going back and forth to the camera location to reset the timer which normally allows the use of the Nikon remote transmitter. Is there a less expensive transmitter than the Pocket Wizard which will do the same thing?

4. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Chris - I don't know about a D70 but.....yesterday I was looking around a local camera shop and saw a RF remote trigger. I know it said it worked on some of the Digital Nikon cameras. I apoligize I don't know the name, etc. I do know it was $119 and there were dip switches on both pieces that would allow you to setup codes to reduce problems with other RF devices. I plain to call B&H to see how much they have one for.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I think those are the ones I've seen at Adorama for over $100 and on EBay from Hong Kong for $45.

6. Chris,

As you have found, unfortunately the D70 has limitations as regards: 1. time period and 2. longer distance triggering of the shutter [no wire release]. The design of this camera only allows an infrared trigger. However, there are some TV remotes that may work with the D70 over longer distances than the genuine Nikon IR remote. I bought an inexpensive GE remote at Target a few yrs ago and was able to activate the D70 at a distance of at least 35' but in direct line with the IR sensor on the camera. You may have go thru some trial and error. If you are lucky enough to have a D70s, this camera has a wire release if I am not mistaken and may work with an radio release [like Pocket Wizard] as advertised B&H or Adorama.

7. Thanks, Herman, but it's not so much the distance as it is not being able to go back to the camera if the timer times out between pictures.

8. Chris ,

Like Herman said, If you have the D70 and not the D70s then the only way to trigger the camera remotely is with a IR remote, so you will always have the timer issue.

Mike

9. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    you can change the time limit on the D70 using the Menu>Pencil Icon>Last option. Change that to 15 minutes and then as long as you take one exposure within the 15 minutes, your timer restarts and you'll have 15 more minutes before it changes back.

10. Thanks, James. I thought you were incorrect, but I was looking at the self-timer and not the remote timer. :redface: That just may work for me. Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.