Remove eye shadows with CNX 2

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by raygun, Aug 9, 2008.

1. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Now that CNX2 has added the bandaid and the spot retouching functions, I am trying to use it for everything, rather than doing part in CNX2 and part in PS-CS3. However, I can't figure out how to smoothly remove eye shadows in CNX2. Any ideas?

JUL_0717.

2. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    What I would probably do: place color control point in shadow area, adjust selection, adjust brightness, then paint it in with + brush, adjust edit step opacity for fine-tuning.
    Or any brightness adjustment painted in with + brush

3. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Glenn!

I'll give those ideas a try...

4. Exactly what I would do Glenn.

Nice photo Jeff. Have you tried the eye sparkle with NX2 yet? If not, you might look at the tutorial I posted in this forum. Just be sure to do it after the other stuff. :smile: Oh yes, you might try the sparkle effect on her earrings too.

Regards,

5. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Barry!

Yes, I did try your eye sparkle idea on her eyes and the earrings. Worked great, although I had to kick up the usm settings to 60-15-10.

Thank you!

6. I know that you asked how to do this in NX-2; however, I still feel that one of the best ways to remove eye shadow or other facial blemishes is by using the clone tool, lighten, 12% opacity, in PS. This way you can work gradually and not try to remove it all at once. Pick an area of lighter skin and do an alt click then go over the darkend area until it is lightened to your taste.

Here is your subject after this treatment:

original.

And your original for comparison:

JUL_0717.

7. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Ok, I'll admit it, I don't have the post-process patients for Photoshop, CS3 or any others but maybe someday I will. I do have though, another quick and easy to use software, Portrait Professional that i use for portaits that I like. Here is the result with out having to go through all those menu items, right click, drag here e.t.c. A little smoothing around the eyes, teeth whitening and I'm done.

2748168200_1493276cf9_o.

8. I think Gordon's is a more balanced compromise.

9. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Gordon, Peano, Vince, and Tom!

All of these treatments are very useful and certainly solve the issue with the eye shadows. Of course the reason for asking for a CNX2 fix was due to simplifying the workflow. And it seems that the CNX2 solutions offered do as good a job as using PS, so I will probably stick with those. However, every time I look at a version of the photo where the shadows are removed, the model looks like someone else. I almost feel like, unless the family wants the shadows reduced, I may not even bring up the issue.

I've now got a version where the skin is softened, the eyes have been brightened, the jewelry sparkles, the blemishes are gone, the face is brighter, the shirt darkened, but I can't bring myself to touching the eye shadows except for the very smallest amount. I think those shadows are part of the smile, and without them the face looks too static...

Thanks to everyone for teaching me how to fix this issue, as I'm sure I'll use it many times in the future, but may only apply it with a 10% opacity in this case...

:smile:

10. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    amen brother, shadows happen and sometimes add a little character to a photo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.