1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Removing a katz eye?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Ridebyshootings, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Hello, ive got a D200 with the katz eye. Ive had trouble with this for my application and thought about getting it removed? i shoot mostly sports like action shots and have read this might help with my focusing issues. What do you think?
    Drew at cBN.

2. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi,
    it takes about 5 minutes to change focus screens, no big deal at all.
    do you have your original screen?

Personally, I really like the Katz eye and fail to see why it would be a problem in any situation other than with slow lenses ( F5.6 or slower)

dale

3. Ok maybe thats it! Im saving to buy a bigma lense soon and maybe thta will wotk? I dont have the orignal screen so I better hold off to see if the new lens helps out. Seems like im getting more out of focus photos than I should. probibly old guy syndrome?
    Drew at CBN.

4. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    what are you using for a lens and settings now?
    the KAtz eye has NO effect on Auto focus, and it helps a lot with manual.
    dale

5. How much manual do you shoot ?

If your main application is AF shooting, i would get rid of the katz eye, while it dosent affect the af performance, the vf is getting way to cluttered on a small vf as the D200.

6. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    I tried it

I removed my Katz-Eye on my d300 to reinstall my original VF.
    Results : Katz Eye scratched and Original VF dirty.
    Had to send the camera back to Nikon to install a new VF.
    Cost : € 100

Arnaud

7. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    What exactly do you not like about it??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.