removing OOF blade of grass

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by cknight, Dec 4, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I have a few pics in which there are a few really OOF blades of grass. They are close enough to the camera so that you can't really see them, just an area that looks faded or lower contrast. Kind of like taking a pic through a fence at the zoo.
    Fortunately, the grass isn't over the main subject, but too close to it to be easily cropped out. Is there a way to get rid of these, or at least reduce the affect, in Photoshop?

Here's what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

edit: added image

2. Bruin Backer

Bruin Backer Guest

By all means...

Post a picture Chris. We will see if we can help.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Chris

One minute fix

Is this what you mean

Obviously can spend a lot more time but off to work now.

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks Ray. That's exactly what I mean. I'm mainly interested in the 2 areas running the height of the picture.
    The next question is - How did you do that? When you get the time, I'd appreciate the step-by-step.
    It looks good, but I can still tell where the fix was done. Is it possible to make the fix less noticable?

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Chris

It can be a lot beter.

That was literally 1 minute to see if that is what you meant.

All I did was clone.

I have just got in from work amidst a mass of work as I have builders in.

I am really out of commission as everything covered in dust - wont clone out!!!!

Will have another go asap.

Best wishes

Ray

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WHoaaaaaaaaa

Who is this that has come to visit.

Dear Byron
    How wonderful to see you here. Thoght we had lost you forever.
    Welcome. Sit back and relax.
    Thanks for adorning my afternoon with your presents.

Regards Pal

7. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Chris - blow the mess at home!!!

Had t have another go for you.

Still about 2 minutes but here goes.

I think it is a lot less noticeable.

I ensured that cloned areas were the same focus field as those being replaced and hopefully it is better.

Also did some PWL on the bird.

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

8. Nice.....:wink: :wink: :smile:

9. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks Ray. That looks good.:smile:
    Could you post the steps you used to do that?
    And what does PWL mean?

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Chris

All that I did was as follws.

Create a new layer - blank. (not a duplicate - just new)

Select the clone tool from the tools pallette

Ensure that the "sample all layers" box is ticked. (on the controls line just past middle at the top)

The I set the opacity of the clone and sharpness to diferent levels to get one which blended best.

Then I cloned always using an area adjoining or using the same focus as what I was going to replace so it looked correct.

Obviously if you clone in a piece that is in a different focus level it will be very obvious.

If you wish, you can make layers for each bit of cloning so that if one is wrong you just delete the layer and it is gone - you can start again.

PWL is painting with light and which is a method/action available from atncentral.com and written by Chip Springer - a master of the technique.

I hope that helps a little.

If not post back and I will try to help.

Best wishes

Ray

11. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Copy background over the grass and blend edges

I tried several techniques to just remove the offending color and replace it with the background color, but haven't found the right technique for that. So, instead, I just copied a piece of the background over the grass and then blended the edges. Then, added a curve and USM for contrast and smart sharpen. Here's how it came out:

[​IMG]

12. Chris to further explain PWL...you can find this action at http://www.atncentral.com and while you are there, take advantage of some of the other great actions and tuts. If you need more hellp with PWL, let me know and I will see how I can help you more.

Hope this helps.