Renee implied portrait (NSFW link) New image added

Discussion in 'People' started by srwatters, Jul 11, 2007.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    This is my first time working with Renee. What a charming young lady from New Orleans!
    Makeup by the young but talented Christy Lee.

I've made the image a link just in case...

Nikon D200, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/160 @ 120mm
    Image Link

Comments appreciated as always.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Technically, this is very well done. As a personal photo for a lover's wallet perhaps?

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Oh Lord...why do you depress me like this? Just kidding...those are EXCELLENT. You and Woody are truly talented!!!!!!!!!

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well Scott, technically it's a good shot, (hey, what's not to like), but there's got to be a better way of covering a portion of the breast without featuring the (relatively) ugly back of the hand. I'd much rather see her in a low cut bra or similar top. Sorry, nothing personal, but this is been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.

5. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Actually that's where it may end up, but we were going for a jewelry portfolio image. I have some with more detail, but I really liked this one for the whole 'look'.
    Thanks for the kind comment. Sometimes I think I'm just lucky! And yes, I was somewhat inspired by Woody's recent images. I originally wanted a Y'lang style product shot, but thought the portrait mode worked better. So thanks Woody!
    Hmmm. Of all the model's I've shot, I think Renee has very nice hands. Great nails and fingers in proportion. I can totally understand though. To each their own.

As far as a bra goes, it would have changed what I was looking for into a lingerie shot. Not that I don't like those, it's just not what I saw...

6. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Since it's a jewelry shot, the ring is probably what drives using the back of the hand.

7. Oh my she is lovely. Even with her other obvious assets I can not stop looking at her eyes. Very will done Scott.

8. There's more to the picture than just the eyes?:eek::biggrin::rolleyes:

9. Gnome

Gnome

Mar 6, 2007
    Born in Europe
    Very nice. The arm position makes her look defensive but that is probably unavoidable, I too like her eyes.

10. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks for the kind words Jeremy, Gordon, and Chris. The other looks are going to yield some excellent shots as well. Perhaps I have yet another muse!

I can only hope so.

11. No denying... it's a great image. Love the expression.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    True, and had Scott mentioned that in his OP, I certainly wouldn't have made that comment. :wink:

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Even a strapless little black number? :tongue:

14. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Woody.

Kyle, while I thank you for your kind comments, I'm really just a guy trying to learn a little more every shoot. I'm very fortunate to be lucky enough to assist and watch a real pro quite often. Hopefully it's rubbing off...

More of Renee to come, but it's late and I'll PP more tomorrow.

15. Very nice Scott. I look forward to seeing more of them.

16. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice work Scott - As always your lighting is awesome.

17. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Fred & Roy.

Here's something very different for me. Lighting is an 11" cone reflector with two layers of diffusion fabric. I wanted an 'on axis' look without flattening her out too much. Did I succeed?

Nikon D200, Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S
    ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/160 @ 50mm
    [​IMG]

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Love this one

Really Scott, I couldn't pick it apart if I tried. I love it, and really diggin' the background as well. Did you have some separate lighting for the background?
    Now, when you say "on axis", does that mean about the same as "directional?

19. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Woof, that's AWESOME! She pops off that orange wall.

20. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Steve. No additional lighting on this one. Just the single AB-800 with the 11" silver cone reflector. The background is one of the newly textured walls in the studio. I'm diggin' it too :biggrin:
    To me, 'on axis' means that the light is positioned very close to the lens with respect to the horizontal position. I had the light on my short stand (Manfrotto 3350) just about eye height as she was sitting. For this shot I placed the lens just camera left of the light stand. I was no more than 6" from the pole so the source was on axis similar to an on camera or bracket mounted strobe.

Here's what the reflector looks like FYI:
    [​IMG]