Rent Nik 80-400 or Sig 50-500??

Looking to rent one or the other for a few days of shooting birds on the beach. It'll be the most current version of either and I don't have the budget to get what I really want (500/4 or 200-400/4). I could get either of these shipped round trip for around $100.

Which one is "better"?

Will be on a tripod and also on a "slider" at ground level. Will be used on a D700.

Thanks!

Don't if it's available to you but you also might want to think about a Tamron 200-500 ....
I used one at Yellowstone last year and it gave decent results ... first time I'd every used it or any long telephoto so I'm sure I could improve my results simply by being more familiar with it ....
The problem I've read so much about with Sigma is the variations in lens quality ... some will give great results others not very good ...

ron

Hey Randy - thanks. That's what I was sort of leaning towards, but my ADD has kicked in and now I'm thinking renting the 300/4 may be a better option. Also thinking about renting the tc2iii to try out on the 70-200ii. I see mixed results, but the rental is pretty cheap...

Ron, thanks for the suggestion. Only Sigma and Nikon are available or I'd look that one up.

the 80-400 easy....the 50-500 is junk
focus speed will be a prob at 1st but you will get the hang of it
The new 50-500 with OS? I've heard and seen a lot of good things out of the new one...I know the old one had some quality issues though.

Nikon 80-400 - better IQ, glacially slow AF
Sigma 50-500 - little longer, decent IQ on a good sample (not as good as the Nikon), pretty good AF (not great).

For stationary birds - the 80-400. For BIF, probably the Sigma due to AF speed

Yeah, it would be the newest version with OS. Still not sure what I'm doing, but time's running out so I have to decide!
Yeah, I was asking Randy if he was referring to the newest OS version because his comment is opposite of everything I've heard about the new one.

I have the latest OS version and it is pretty good. Though I haven't really tried it outside on a sunny day, it gave me decent shot indoors at my son's school program on a monopod.

I haven't tried the 80-400, but I had the 50-500 os for two weeks. I returned it because I thought the colour and contrast was lacking in the long end. I took it to the zoo and a bird sanctuary to test it out. it was my first experience with long glass, so I probably didn't get the most out of it. here's a couple examples

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bigma OS 210mm 320iso f/11 1/250 by Izithombe, on Flickr

partially cropped, on tripod with remote release

Bigma OS 500mm 200iso f/8 1/400 by Izithombe, on Flickr

Bigma OS Duck 420mm 200iso f-8 1-640 by Izithombe, on Flickr

Bigma/OS-500mm-f8-iso200 by Izithombe, on Flickr

I'm not an experienced bird shooter either, so my bif attempts turning out oof is probably not only the AFs fault

Those 50-500 shots look like others I've seen from the lens - they're fine, they just don't pop like shots from something like a 300 f/4.

I don't think I'd be happy with those after paying $1600.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom