renting wide lenses Advice.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jshurak, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I'm renting a the 14-24 for an upcoming event. I'm also considering renting the 16mm fisheye just in case. Should I rent it or would it just defeat the purpose. I'm slightly confused due to the difference in mm. 14 is wider than 16 but, the 16 is a fisheye. Does anyone have shots taken with the 16 and the 14 @ 14?

2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    You shooting DX or FX?

3. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    sorry, FX

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Jeff, whether or not to rent the 16 depends a lot on what you are shooting. Fisheye is a LOT of fun, but it's very easy to over use it. While you can de-fish certain images with good success, post correction with the 14-24 is a non-event. Fixing angles for perspective is only needed in certain images, and it's really easy to do. You can always go back and add barrel distortion to a few images if you thing they need a visual boost.

On the other hand, if the 16 is a cheap rental, you'll almost certainly enjoy it!

If you look through my Zen acct, a lot of the recent misc, urban landscape, and architecture shots are with the 14-24 mostly at the 14 end. You'll also see some fisheye images taken with my 10-17 on my D200 (at 10mm, the perspective is nearly identical to the 16 on fx). The 14-24 has only been used onthe D700.

5. The 16 is like the 14 without the perspective distortion. If it's cheap, just rent it and see if you like it.

6. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Its a reasonable cost. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.