Repaired D2X Update

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jfenton, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    The front focus issue seems to have gone away, the back focus issue is still present and in 64 flight shots last evening (3 or 4 of which were absolutely my fault) there wasn't anything that could compare to the quality of shots I've seen coming from others.

Therefore....

This morning I went shooting with another D2X shooter who got his camera recently. We used both bodies on my lens and tripod for consistency.

The results were dramatic. His flight shots (I was shooting them with his body) were stunning and the ones from my camera weren't. They appeared on the LCD to be as good as the ones I've seen from George and others and even on the LCD, the difference in quality between the two cameras was perfectly apparent.

I can't afford to play the send it in and tweak it game so I've called Nikon and asked that this body be replaced immediately. Of course I had to leave a message cause it's too early in CA.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What a bummer!! :evil: I hope they turn it around quickly. :roll:

Frank

3. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    My condolences, Jim.

I hope you get a new camera asap.

Tom

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    They Won't Replace It

Yet...

They are requiring tha I send it back in again and are supposed to e-mail me an overnight UPS tag.

I was also told that mine was definetly "out of spec" and they adjusted it and no parts were replaced.

The most interesting note was when I was told that they are "working dillegently to try and correct the problems with the D2X bodies being returned for this issue".

Hmmmmm

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Jim,
    That really is a big bummer for you! I hope they get it fixed this time.

After this is all over be sure to jot down step by step what we need to do to check if ours has the same problem. I've gotten lost in this process that you've gone through in regard to your camera settings and what's gone wrong.

Thanks and good luck,

Gaye

6. Very interesting indeed...

I've been holding off on sending mine in until I get a better feel for what will happen with it. The last thing I want is to run into an "adjust and return" situation if it won't truly be any better when I get it back. The comment you heard sounds very much like there is some discussion internally at Nikon as to what truly needs to happen with these units, and it's the closest thing I've heard yet to an acknowledgement that there has been a real problem with some of the units.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    David

R thinks that they have it figured out.

Apparently after mine left Torrance, one of the technicians uncovered a missalighned angular planar something or other in both of his bodies (X and Hs). They supposedly tested the bodies with a 17-35, 80-200 and a 300 and they're working fine. He'll find out for sure this weekend.

This does still suck however!

Ooops....can I say that here?

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Paul

I found someone else who jumped at the chance to go on the Audubon shoot this weekend to replace me. I figured that I'd be better off shooting nothing than pouring over crappy images to find something useful.

I'm not going to ship it until Monday afternoon. It's gonna be a 3 day weekend..warm with lots of migrating birds and I'm gonna use that "M" focus setting so that I can at least shoot something :)

I'm hearing reports of a large migration of Kestrels about 100 miles south of us and they're apparently covering up wards of 30 miles per night. That should have them arriving tomorrow night.

Jim

10. Jim,

So sorry to hear it was not fixed the first time out! It does sound good that Ron has his all fixed (hopefully) and maybe they have it all figured out now. I hope it goes quick for you, you deserve some consideration from them for all the effort you put in to reporting this and working with Nikon. I am sure there will be lots of people grateful for all you have done!

Hope you have a great weekend!! Me, back to work Saturday morning! :( :? :cry:

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    George...

Didn't ya hear....?

The weather is supposed to be incredible this wekend :)

12. Re: George...

U Suk :D