Critique Replacement Dinner Bell

A few days ago I posted photos at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/two-versions-new-and-not-so-new.319662/ of a glass dinner bell that was accidentally broken by my young nephew. The photos shown below are of the bell that replaces it.

Photo #1 Setup
The tabletop is glossy black acrylic and the background is translucent white acrylic. A medium continous-light lamp behind the background was shining toward the subject and camera. The background filled the frame, no more and no less. That lighting outlined the dinner bell in dark tones. The photo was changed to black-and-white by desaturating to eliminate colorful prismatic refractions.

Photo #2 Setup
The tabletop is glossy black acrylic and the background is a large circular diffuser immediately behind a piece of black felt that filled the frame, no more and no less. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the diffuser and background was shining toward the subject and camera. That lighting outlined the dinner bell in bright tones. The photo was changed to black-and-white by desaturating to eliminate colorful prismatic refractions.

EDIT: Karen made a suggestion about brightening the innermost part of the clapper in the photo with the dark background. I like the results of her suggestion. See the Revision of Photo #2 shown below for easily comparing it with the original.

Photo #1
Mike 2019-12-04--003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2019-12-04--004-S.jpg

Revision of Photo #2
Mike 2019-12-04--004-S.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Both are really excellent, Mike!!!!! On the second image, just a hint of slightly lighter "black" in the center of the "bob" might help it appear more like a sphere instead of a black item inside the "bob".

But that is a VERY minor quibble......both are outstanding!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately the change isn't visible on my monitor....but I'm sure the change is there! LOL!

Both images are beautiful creations, Mike!
I seem to have a slight preference for the light background (#1)

About the change in the revised version, perhaps it's because of the size of the image.
When I zoomed in, I did see the difference.

Real Name
Andy
Really nice images - both the light BG and the black. For this subject, I think the light BG draws the eye’s attention to the spherical shapes of the tip of the handle and clapper better. The black BG image is quite striking, I’m drawn to #1 also.

I hope you’ll have time to join in on the week 50 meme. I’m sure anything you contribute will be top notch.

Thank you also to Bart and Andy!

When I zoomed in, I did see the difference.
Maybe we should touch our noses to our monitors to have the same effect. :ROFLMAO:

I hope you’ll have time to join in on the week 50 meme.
Very kind of you to invite me to the meme but I'm rarely inclined to participate. Even a one-week meme is usually a bit much for me.

I think I'm the only one (again!) to see the difference easily between the two versions of the second image . Both very nice images Mike. If you asked my preference I would prefer the one with the lighter BG as your lighting creates very nice tones and IMO the image looks richer .

Thank you, BInnur, for this comment and also your comments about my other photos.

I would prefer the one with the lighter BG as your lighting creates very nice tones and IMO the image looks richer .
I generally prefer the photos with the bright background but this time I'm leaning ever so slightly more toward the version with the black background. That's because in my mind the bright outline of the glass emphasizes the sharp, linear characteristics of the decorative styling better than when the glass is outlined in dark tones. Having said that, I could change my mind tomorrow!

Thank you, BInnur, for this comment and also your comments about my other photos.

I generally prefer the photos with the bright background but this time I'm leaning ever so slightly more toward the version with the black background. That's because in my mind the bright outline of the glass emphasizes the sharp, linear characteristics of the decorative styling better than when the glass is outlined in dark tones. Having said that, I could change my mind tomorrow!
:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom