Replacement strap for D800 --

Love my D800 but don't love the original Nikon neck strap ….

Can I get some suggestions for good straps that will better distribute the weight and keep it off my neck --- I use a tripod a lot so I don't want anything that uses the tripod socket ….

thanks----

ron

I like using the Black Rapid but attaching it to the left eyelit of the camera. I have been using one on a D3s this way and have had a 70-200 and even a Sigma 120-300 on the camera and have had no problems in regards to strength issues. Very comfortable having your hips and shoulder supporting the weight.

The reason I attach it to the left eyelet is because the strap will be out of the way when you bring the camera up to take a picture. On the right side it would get in the way.

I use a cord wrist strap designed for walking sticks and attached to the right eyelet ring but that's probably not much use to you :biggrin:

I've only ever had a wrist strap even when I had the 300mm f2.8 as that was too big for a neck strap anyway. I wouldn't be without it and hate 'wearing' a camera around my neck or on my shoulder. It has never failed me yet.

Another vote for the Op/tech straps. I got one for each of my cameras. I have the short connector to the camera so when I am using the Black Rapid strap or have my body on my gimbal with my 500 lens I can disconnect the strap if I don't want it dangling. For just normal use the Op/tech strap is so much better than the Nikon strap. I use it both for my D800 with grip and my D300 with grip and my D2X. Works well on all these.

Another vote for the Op/tech straps. I got one for each of my cameras. I have the short connector to the camera so when I am using the Black Rapid strap or have my body on my gimbal with my 500 lens I can disconnect the strap if I don't want it dangling. For just normal use the Op/tech strap is so much better than the Nikon strap. I use it both for my D800 with grip and my D300 with grip and my D2X. Works well on all these.

A big +1 on this suggestion. Be aware that you may need to go directly to the Op Tech website to special order the configuration with the short stubs for the camera. Works great.

I love the Op/Tech Pro straps. I usually leave it long so I can use it like a sling and the body is by my hip and easily within reach. I've been using them for 20+ years and haven't found anything more comfortable for long days of photographing.

My favorite non-sling strap is the old reliable Domke Gripper. I like it because I can unclip the webbed grippy central part of the strap and clip the leads to the straps of a backpack for hiking.

I made a homemade sling a couple of years ago to see if I liked a sling, and I still use it. Eventually I will probably get a Luma Cinch, but for now the homemade version works very well.

Cross-body strap is the best way I've found to comfortably wear a camera for hours. Do you have an AS plate or bracket for tripod usage? If so, there are a couple of workarounds that will allow you to use a Black Rapid strap. You can get a small 1" clamp and screw the BR ring into the base. You then attach and detach the strap from your plate/bracket with the clamp. The other option that I look forward to trying is a Kickstarter product in development now. Should ship in October.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162266883/the-fusion-plate-a-camera-accessory

Cross-body strap is the best way I've found to comfortably wear a camera for hours. Do you have an AS plate or bracket for tripod usage? If so, there are a couple of workarounds that will allow you to use a Black Rapid strap. You can get a small 1" clamp and screw the BR ring into the base. You then attach and detach the strap from your plate/bracket with the clamp. The other option that I look forward to trying is a Kickstarter product in development now. Should ship in October.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162266883/the-fusion-plate-a-camera-accessory

Ok, I'm logging in and buying two of those right now!! Completely solves the BlackRapid/tripod dilemma!! Probably too much to hope they'll also work with the Peak Designs belt clip...

Solution from Acratech for use with a Black Rapid strap.

I looked at the Fusion plate, neat idea, but I wonder what they do for anti-twist? I may have just missed it, but I could not see their solution.

Ok, I'm logging in and buying two of those right now!! Completely solves the BlackRapid/tripod dilemma!! Probably too much to hope they'll also work with the Peak Designs belt clip...

I doubt it, but wouldn't that be nice? I have the first iteration of the Peak clip, and actually like the leash/cuff straps for my mirrorless cameras. The plate/clip is nice for a small camera, but I must not have the hips to use it with a heavier setup, and don't usually carry a backpack.

Solution from Acratech for use with a Black Rapid strap.

I looked at the Fusion plate, neat idea, but I wonder what they do for anti-twist? I may have just missed it, but I could not see their solution.

It has the same limitations of any universal plate, and uses some sort of rubber compound to grip the base of the camera. You can click the video in the link above. Apparently he tried several compounds before settling. Too small an operation to offer flanges for different models.

I've never used the Op-Tech but my Black Rapid is by far the most comfortable strap I've ever used. I bought the two body version because I sometimes carry two bodies but it can be separated to use a single body strap. I hang my D2x with a 70-200mm lens all day long with no fatigue. I love that the Black Rapid strap distributes the weight not just on your shoulder but also your chest and back. Even my wife loves it and she does nothing but complain just carrying a D40. LOL

I've tried a lot of straps, but I keep coming back to the Op/Tech straps. They're just the most comfortable and versatile with the many different options available.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom