1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Report (w/eagles) from Jordan Lake, NC

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baxter, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Was near Jordan Lake this weekend visiting family. Got out to the lake for about 40 minutes on a freezing cold morning with the wind absolutely howling. Despite the conditions, saw numerous eagles - all immature, interestingly, as well as osprey, GBH, hawks, a pie-billed grebe and other birds. Definitely plan to make a return visit in better conditions.

Two immature eagles flew directly overhead before moving off to the south. Got one frame of them together, but it was too blurry. My hands were so frozen it was hard to make adjustments while shooting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This osprey flew over a couple of times. I think he got blown away and had to come back!
    [​IMG]

Not a great shot of the grebe, but since it's my first capture of this bird, here goes:

[​IMG]

The location where I shot is not far off I-40, down Highway 751. If you're passing through, it's worth the effort.

2. Way to go hunter, Great captures.

3. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Thanks Gary. Given the conditions, I was pleased to get a couple of decent images. Probably saw six different immature eagles, including four together at one point. Other than the one flyover, they were all so distant I had to look at them through the lens to ID them. I guess seeing so many immatures is a good sign that the lake has a healthy breeding population?

4. I'd say that's a very good sign. You may want to clean the sensor/ lens on the first shot a few spots. I know I get them almost every time I take a picture of the sky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.