Reportage & Terra

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Nacho, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

Same shot, different versions. A bit more artistic than PJ work, certainly more reportage and documentary.

Thoughts greatly appreciated:

Basic:

[​IMG]

A framed version:

[​IMG]

A Ghost-Hunter's version:

[​IMG]

Taken with D300 and 18-70mm Kit lens at the Jefferson Memorial, Wash. DC.

Best Regards, :smile:

Nacho

2. Nacho, the basic is not showing up for me .........

Regards,

3. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Without a caption I can't understand the context of the photo... it's important to have a good short caption for PJ photos I think.

4. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Oh, let me check on that first one. Ok, it loads for me now, let me know if it still gives trouble and I will relink again to another version.

Thanks Bob, thanks Taylor. Taylor, I agree completely, but did not mean this one as a Photojournalism piece. Instead I presented it as Reportage or Documentary. It is part of a series about Terra that I just started and hope to complete by the end of Summer. While it is likely that the series will carry an artists statement, and other textual commentary, I have not decided yet whether individual shots will carry notes.

In the meantime, it will be a series of shots about Terra (documenting her life with Trisomy 9 Mosaic) and her obsessiveness over simple everyday objects and activities. Part of her condition makes her fairly obsessive about some things, in this case, she lingers by doors, or other such objects that entertain her and allow her to work on skills (she does much the same on stairs, and I will be working on a few shots of her in stairs). Another sees her jumping vertically, dancing, etc. She has a few interesting quirks.

Sorry I didn't make any of this clear earlier, but I just wanted to post this one image and a couple of variations.

Thanks,

Nacho :smile:

5. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Nathan, that puts things into perspective. I think it's important to give the viewer some info about the project if the subject/point of it is not obvious from the photos.

I like the feeling and composition of this photo. I like the clarity and tones of the B&W more than the antique. Maybe it's just a pet peeve, but I don't find photos that are photoshopped to look antique or another style as good as it is in its original state. If you wanted that look, then you can print it that look with a digital C-print perhaps, but as a digital image it just won't have the same kind of impact once it's printed. You won't see the fibres, the texture, and the tonal gradients of a photoshopped image mimicking a certain style vs. an actual print using that style, if you know what I mean.

Also, I'd like to see the rest of the series in the same style, doesn't matter what as long as it's consistent.

Great project, very noble, and I am looking forward to seeing more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.