Request: B+W Optimize Image

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by petert053, Dec 19, 2005.

1. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Still waiting on UPS to make the D200 delivery to me... this is probably the worst time for waiting on package deliveries... the holiday season and all...

But, I digress... I was wondering if one you new D200 owners have played with the B+W Optimize Image setting yet. I'm really interested in your impressions. Also interested in what the historgram (both in-camera and in PS) looks like... What do you think of the tone? Do you think you can get better results from converting in PS than in-camera?

Does somebody feel like taking a few test shots? (that was a hint)...

...just another eager-beaver shooter, trying to get a little info from his shooter friends (obviously in closer UPS delivery zones than me!)

Thanks...

2. I don't know as I don't have a D200, but I'll voice an opinion anyway!:tongue:

Capture 4.4 has a B&W setting in its list of custom color modes (next to Adobe mode II, Mode I, Mode III, etc...). It works with RAW files of any D1/D2 camera, not just the D200 and yes it does do a pretty darn good job. Sure, it can be tweaked further (eg with curves), but it's a very good start, IMHO. :smile:

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    My B+W Tests

I finally got around to testing the B+W image optimization this afternoon. Here's some of my more favorite results. All of these images were (more or less) straight from the camera (except for a crop and image resize in PS-CS2):

First, there's the Texas Snow-dog... she had just finished her monster Christmas bone and was contemplating her next move:

[​IMG]

Then, there's Gabe... man's best friend... especially if you've got food:

[​IMG]

"Is Mom making the Christmas turkey??!! I love turkey!! Doesn't she need my help??!!"

[​IMG]

All in all, I think that the B+W imaging in the D200's not too bad. I was more impressed with the shots of my Lab than the Husky. I used the on-camera flash for fill and some EV enhancement for Gabe's shots (probably should have used a little bit the other way on my Husky). All the shots were made with the D70 kit lens, the 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 ED. Normally, I like really strong contrast from my B+W shots, but these weren't too bad (IMO). What do you think?

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

On my calibrated and profiled monitor, these b/w shots have a lacklustre quality and have no feeling of "depth".

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I didn't say they were perfect... I simply said they were straight from the camera. In my opinion, they are needing additional contrast; something that I would add in PS anyway.

Let me clarify - I've played with other B+W digital "straight from the camera" and have personally found a lot worse results. While the D200 isn't producing anything that would worry the B+W film and paper producers left in the world and the results aren't Ansel Adams, it's a marked improvement over what we use to have... in my opinion... in addition, I like the fact that a DSLR has this capability and gets me "most of the way" toward an image that I know that I'd be changing in PS anyway.

6. I rather like it, it saves time and gives me a good feel. For JPEGs it helps...NEFs in B&W are also fun though because you can tweak the tones. I like the B&W conversion in capture since it's so easy to just manipulate the 3 color sliders to find the best contrast.