1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Required Reading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simonramsden, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I was thinking the other day, as splendid as this forum is it, could we make it better by trying to organise our thoughts into more of a "knowledge base".

We are sum of out experiences and knowledge, can we collect that knowlege into a single place. In some ways we already do this - the Lens Lust forum is a great place to look up that lens you are interested in, members post shots and give opinion on each lens. Its certainly helped me decide my direction in lens purchases. Likewise the Gear forums around Nikon DSLR's and other gear is a great place to read up on a considered purchase.

But there's nothing for books !

Now I don't buy many books, in most cases I like to get out there and try it for myself. But I'm looking to purchase a book on Lanscape photography, one more to do with technique and less on equipment, more on inspiration and less on repetition. Now i could just throw out a thread entitled "Help me choose a Landscape Book". I'd get some great responses, but over the course of time - 2 days, the thread would move off the front page and a few weeks later some-one else would ask the same question.

So, why not have a book forum under the Gear thread. Each post in the forum could be a book title (include the ISBN) and should be a generated as a vote thread rather than general discussion and should give a mini review of the book. By giving it a vote option (positive, negative), people who have the book can vote on it, and comment on it. That way we build up a library of book resource. Searching by ISBN would be easy, and once you've found the thread its easy to see the overall opinion of a book by checking the vote count.

That could be extended across all items - lenses, bags, tripods. etc..

Just an idea, feel free to dump on it.

In the meantime - any ideas for a good landscape book ?

2. It's an excellent idea. But to keep it from becoming cumbersome, it should be divided into sub-categories by subject matter or photo-genre.

3. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    I like this idea too. There are so many books, and many of them not very good. Reviews by members would be useful input.

I don't think the forum would have to be subdivided as rbsinto proposes. Chaos could be limited with a simple rule that the title of all posts be the title of the book being reviewed or asked about.

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Sounds like a good idea. I'd love to have a book review before buying them. I tried to be cheap and go to the library, but many of the photography books there are extremely old.

6. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. That's along the right lines, but 1 thread containing all books is difficult to navigate and doesn't make commenting on individual books easy.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, if people are happy with a single thread then let's leave it that way. I just thought a forum dedicated to photography books with a positive/negative review option would be useful.

Ultimately it's not my decision, I wouldn't expect it to be "popular" as forums go, but hopefully a useful reference.

Thanks for everyones input thus far.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I tried the library too and same problem. I asked the librarian, and she told me that they don't order many of the new photography books because #1, the books are really expensive and #2, they don't have much demand for them. Guess we're stuck having to buy them.

10. As a librarian, I can answer this....

The problem with digital technology and digital imaging is that it's all changing very rapidly; the library cannot afford to stock books which will be outdated almost before they've actually been put on the shelf. Older books on photography still have valuable information, though, as the basic principles of shooting have not really changed. In many cases, yes, people will go to a bookstore and pick out one or two books that they want to buy and keep, and librarians realize this. Limited library budgets means that the money only goes so far and has to be spread out among many interest areas.

11. I'll take that as a no then.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Not exactly. Understand that fora are created here in response to use demand, not 'good ideas'. Try posting threads about books, book reviews, reading suggestions, etc. If enough interest is generated, repost your request and we'll take another look with some data beyond a good idea.

How much interest is enough? It varies from topic to topic, but we will recognize it when we see it.

I look forward to seeing such postings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.