Resale ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlktwins, Sep 19, 2008.

1. mlktwins

mlktwins

Aug 29, 2008
    VA
    Hi all! I'm new to DSLR and just bought a D90 with the kit lens (18-105). Before I start getting all caught up on the collecting lenses game :) , I'm curious how good the resale value is on lenses?

TIA!
    Mendy

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    The lens that it came with is pretty new so it probably has a higher resale value. But the value really depends on how well you take care of it and how much wear and tear it shows. Take good care of your stuff and it will sell high. But it's a good lens so I would hold on to it for a while.

3. mlktwins

mlktwins

Aug 29, 2008
    VA
    I plan to keep my new lens -- I really like it so far. I have 3 year old twins and I'm thinking I want the 18-200 right now (so I don't have to change the lens to get better zoom), sell it later and get a 70-300 when the boys get a little older and I want more zoom and they cooperate better.

Mendy

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    If you're gonna go that route, I would keep the 18-200, sell the kit lens, and buy a better telephoto than the 70-300. Maybe a prime? Maybe spring for the 70-200 if it's in your price range. The 80-200 is also a great lens that's a little cheaper.

5. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    Anything that says f2.8 on it, you should be able to recover 80% of your cost after a few years if you keep it in good condition. All of my lenses look new from an arms length away. I keep them in a bag at all times and very cautious with them when outdoors. Below is what I was able to sell some things for on Ebay....

18-70 D70 kit lens - Paid $325, sold it for $250 (6 months old)

70-300 older version - Paid $300, sold to best friend for $175...could have got $225 for it.

80-200 AFD f2.8 - Purchased for $900, sold for $820 (1 year old)

17-55 AFS DX f2.8 - Purchased for $1149, sold for $904 (3 years old)

70-200 VR f2.8 - Purchased for $1650, sold for $1500 (1 year old)

6. This isn't the best example, but I bought a 80-200 AF-S for $600, used it for a little more than a year, then sold it for $1000, making $400.

I essentially got paid to use a lens (about one dollar each day!).

7. Resale value, including some of the examples quoted, are as much a factor of where you buy, and where you re-sell your lenses.

E.g. reselling lenses on eBay often yields the best prices because you have a very large audience (that can include international buyers with stronger currencies if you choose), and you get factors like bidding wars or people who don't do comparison shopping.

Taking that out of the equation, usually kit lenses don't hold their resale as well, especially since Nikon tends to update the kit lenses. However, they start off cheap to begin with so resale isn't as big a deal there.

The lenses that are currently taking a hit with resale are the "pro" DX lenses. E.g. it's harder to re-sell a 17-55/2.8 DX now because more potential buyers are going to full-frame, and there were recent deals on buying ones new.

Lenses that are about to be updated usually take a heavier hit in resale. But the problem is that it's hard to predict when a lens is being updated. Usually you do well to scoop up used copies after a lens is discontinued because some of their owners sell them off quickly to get the latest and greatest.

Nikon lenses generally hold their value more than third-party lenses. However, consider that third party lenses often are signfiicantly cheaper to acquire, so resale value can be misleading there.

Ultimately I would strongly advise that the lenses you choose are not heavily influenced by their resale potential. Rather the lenses you choose are the best lenses for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.