Rescuing the Dummy LOL (would you believe naked dummy LOL)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by EdMac, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I was out with our fire company on a training drill last night. It was a rope rescue drill simulating a sky diver caught in a tree. We have a sky diving school in our town, and we are often called to rescue their members from tree tops. In this case, we planted a dummy in the tree. Here are some of the pictures that I took. Note: we used the tower ladder as a strong point to attach the rope pulley. We would normally have to use a tree, if we were deep in the forest.
    These were all taken just before dark, and I had to use my sb-800 flash. All pictures with my D200 and 17-55 f2.8.
    Comments welcome as always.:smile:

The dummy in the tree
    [​IMG]

The crew arrives
    [​IMG]

Preparing the Equipment
    [​IMG]

Clearing Brush
    [​IMG]

Tower Ladder In Place.
    [​IMG]

Climber Sizes Up The Job
    [​IMG]

Climber Up
    [​IMG]

Preparing the Victim
    [​IMG]

Lowering the Victim
    [​IMG]

2. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Tell me that's not tied around it's neck.....you'd only rescue 'em once that way, I guess. :biggrin:

3. Hi,
    Well it saves on callbacks LOL. :biggrin::biggrin:
    In all seriousness,I believe there is an eye bolt in the back of this particular dummy. Normally we would use a spreader bar and a pair of hooks to attach to the parachute harness. This is a multipurpose dummy that we use for training. Normally it is used as a victim in our smoke house simulator, and doesn't need anything attached to it.
    Thanks for your comments:smile:

4. Treed naked skydivers!!!!!! I wanna move to YOUR neighbourhood! Mine's too boring.

And to think that folks think all you do is put out fires..... you guys are terrific for all the hard work you do.

5. Hi Sandy,
    Yeah, we try to add a little excitment for the guys LOL. :biggrin:
    I have been out on numerous of these real tree rescues, and it is always the male sky divers that wind up in the trees. There are a lot of ladies jumping, but they seem to have better control of where they land.
    Thanks for your comments.:smile:

6. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Very interesting. I work as a power lineman and we practice a similar drill, a pole top rescue. We use the same type of dummy, climb up the pole, hammer a screw driver into the pole, rap a rope around the pole, tie the dummy off, cut his belt and lower him to the ground.

7. How do you lower them if you suspect spinal injury? Attach a KED first?

8. Hi Miguel,
    Thanks for responding. Every situatin is different for us because it is in the forest. We have had parachutes hung in electrical wires. In that case we wait for the power company to assist us.:smile:

9. Hi Gretchen,
    That is a very interesting question. We are only a fire company, but we do have the local squad run with us. The rescue can be very precarious especially when it is 60 feet or higher in the air. Many times the person is dangling. We would take what ever advice the EMTs would give us under the circumstances. The fireman would apply whatever support was available if possible. We don't get too many choices while in the air.
    If the person is in reasonable shape we use a spreader bar and two lines to connect to the same harness attachments as the parachute, and lower them using that arrangement. As soon as the person is near the ground, the squad takes over to treat and transport.
    Unfortunately these situations usually happen in pretty dense woods, and we have to clear a lot of brush to even get to the tree. It would be great if we could get the tower ladder into the scene and send the medics up in the bucket, but that is rarely possible.
    The bottom line is that we have not had many injured sky divers. The parachute lines and the small upper branches of the trees usually cushion the impact. The biggest problem I have seen is the parachute harness cutting off circulation to the legs. This becomes a problem if the rescue takes a long time or the person has been hanging for a long time before they find the location.
    Thank you for your insight and interesting question.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2007
  10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OK MR ED
    Your haveing wayyyyyyyyyyy to much fun
    Although a very serious situation.. I would have a very hard time seeing a neked dummy i a tree, donchano, and not having at least a silly grin on my face.
    Or maybe they are getting really tired of this dumb dummy being so dumb all the time and having to rescue it.
    Now maybe you should try a Lady dummy:>)))) evil grin with a long blonde wig:>))))

Next long blonde wig we get in the thrift store I am going to send it to you:>))))))) Your dummy is way to boring. But funny as heck

Love the story and the pics are great.

11. Ed,

Thank you for your answer, and the insight! :smile: Very interesting about the upper branches breaking the fall!! I wondered about impalements too, but I'm guessing it's a similar answer.

I'm also fascinated by the fact that you guys don't have to be EMT's or medics!! In MA, all FF's are now a minimum of EMT, and most full-time departments (for about 6-8yrs) have requried new hires to be medics.

Looks like you guys had a great night of training, and thank you for sharing the pics with us!!! :biggrin:

12. Hi Gale,
    The interesting thing is that the dummy could be a block of wood, and these guys would probably not notice LOL. They have exercised with it for so long that they igore it. Obviously they would not ignore a real live person LOL. They are too focused on setting up the ropes and getting the climber into position safely.
    The first time that we tried to simulate a sky diver rescue they took a dummy up in a plane with a paracute on it. Then they dumped it out and our guys did a search and rescue. When they found the dummy high in a tree they were stumped as to how to get to it. Ladders were not tall enough, and the forest was too dense for the tower ladder. They had to cut the tree down to retrieve the dummy. It was at that point that we realized that we needed formal training with rope rescue and a bunch of equipment. That was over 6 years ago. Now we have quite a few successful tree rescues under out belt
    :smile::biggrin:
    Here is a shot from a night rescue. The poor guy was in the tree for several hours before we found him. This will give you some idea of the real situation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ed,

Is this one of those weighted dummies? Those are LOTS of fun to work with!! :tongue:

14. Hi Gretchen,
    Our volunteer fire company will be 100 years old in 2009, and we have always been just a fire company. That said, many of our younger members are EMTs and do run with the squad at times. My daughter is the senior EMT and supervisor of our career squad. They share facilities with the volunteers. A new twist is that our county is establishing regional ambulance services who will be mostly career people, and administered by the county. Thanks for your comments :smile:

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice PJ work Ed, this sort of stuff is always educational for those not involved in the fire service. We use a "half back" for removing victims in high places with suspected injuries. A very nice device to have for that tough rescue.

16. Hi Frank,
    Thanks for your comments and info on the Half Back. I will pass this on to the chief. We do confined space extractions as well, and sometimes there is no room for a Stokes Basket. Many people never get the opportunity to see th kinds of things that we do, and I get a lot of satisfaction in sharing it through my pictures. Every year we have an open house during fire prevention week, and I usually present a slide show to the citizens that come to visit us.:biggrin:

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow all very interesting
    Great shot of the tree hugger

18. Hi Gale,
    I poked fun at the naked dummy, but this gets to be very serious business, when there is a human being hanging up there. Every rescue is different, but there are some funny moments. We had one guy haning up there crying like a baby. In fact he was diverting everyones attention from the rescue. The chief finally had to tell him that if he didn't quiet down we would leave him there. I guess this shocked him enough that he shut up and cooperated for the rest of the rescue. We still talk about the big guy crying up in the tree LOL:biggrin:

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I bet you folks could tell stories for a very long time:>))))))

20. Hi Gale,
    As they say there are a million stories in the naked city LOL. Prople do some strange things when they are stresses:biggrin: