resize to increase sharpness?

Hi all,
Not sure if I can explain this very well but here goes nothing! I am trying to find out how people resize (shrink) their photos where the sharpness increases and the noise fades away. You can always tell when you see it because it is super sharp...much sharper then the best glass on the best body. Take a look at Gary's post here to see this sharpness that I am talking about:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=183915

It is almost fake sharp. LOL. I have also seen it on the web where a picture resizes to fit a window. (Click it and it goes to full normal size and normal sharpness) Click it again and it shrinks with that super sharpness!

I know these have a much higher file size...so that should be a clue.

When I resize in CS 2, I am basically saying how big I want the picture in pixels. Oh and I always use "bicubic", 72 dpi and JPEG compression at the highest setting. I am sure there is another way...

Any ideas?
Many thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
yep resizing images increases apparent sharpness and decreases noise. it's a common practice to show off the abilities of lenses. another common practice is to increase the contrast to make it seem even sharper.

Hi all,

When I resize in CS 2, I am basically saying how big I want the picture in pixels. Oh and I always use "bicubic", 72 dpi and JPEG compression at the highest setting. I am sure there is another way...

If downsizing, you can get some improvement by using "bicubic sharper", but a single image certainly won't approach the resolution of RFC's multiple-image panoramas.

Also, jpeg compression at the highest setting only increases file size without visible effect. For displaying on the web, 9 is plenty high enough.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Speaking from a position of technical ignorance, I can suggest a reason why smaller images can 'look' sharper.

Let's say that across a very small distance the tone values of an image go from

and you shrink this image to one eighth the size and sharpen it,

23338889, the sharpening process will create an apparent edge in the smaller image where the larger image shows a gradual change.

The reduction of an image

to a smaller size does have the effect of increasing its sharpness, although the technical details of why escape me.

My own personal research, experience, and experimention has yielded some excellent results using the following workflow:

* Reduce the image size in two or three steps from the full image size to, say 800 wide, or 600 tall (depending on landscape or portrait orientation).

* Make one, two, or more passes of USM 40, .3, 0 to your own taste to get the image super sharp, without producing the halos that you see from oversharpening.

* Upload the image to you favorite site, and post the Original image. Many photo hosting websites further process the smaller sized images and reduce their sharpness.

Try this and see for yourself if it makes a difference.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom