Resizing images

When submitting photos to be printed or to post on smugmug or flickr, do you resize your images down? If so by what %?

Also, I've had my camera set to take large image sizes (4928x3264) and medium (3696x2448). I haven't seen much of a difference. I'm not quite sure what to keep it on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

When submitting photos to be printed or to post on smugmug or flickr, do you resize your images down? If so by what %?

Also, I've had my camera set to take large image sizes (4928x3264) and medium (3696x2448). I haven't seen much of a difference. I'm not quite sure what to keep it on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jeff,

I suggest shooting at the highest possible resolution. Storage is cheap these days and you never know when you might capture an image that would benefit from the additional pixels for a large print or even for more cropping flexibility.

When posting images to the web, I usually resize so that the image is 1,800 pixels on the long side.

Glenn

Real Name
Chris
I always save the highest resolution image from the camera, but then resize to the most appropriate size, depending on use. For print it's usually the native resolution, or even an up-rez if the print is large enough. For the web, or other computer use I downsize to the largest size that will not need to be shrunk by the display software in order to show the entire image. I don't use either Flickr or Smug Mug though.

I have an action that shrinks the size in several steps, converts from aRGB to sRGB, sharpens it, and the final size is 930 pixels on longest size (storing in one folder "send to Smugmug"). Well, two actions - one for portrait and one for landscape. Then it steps back in history until the size/color space commands are erased.
I also shoot in raw, full size, unless I think I'll be running out of card space. With two 8-gig cards in my D7000, that hasn't happened yet. With the 1-gig card in my D200 it happened several times (like the Yosemite trip).

1024px on the longside for web.
That is also the Cafe's maximum allowed width for posting images I believe. :smile:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom