Resizing question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pete Lethbridge, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I'm finding the issue of resizing for print extreemly frustrating and I'm sure one of you out there has the solution.

Here is the issue:

I have a D2X image that I've processed through Capture to correct WB, Exposure, USM etc... I then save the image as TIFF. I then use Photoshop to resize the image for printing purposes using FM Resize Pro plug-in and apply final sharpen. I resize as close as I can for 7 x 5 print (300 DPI) using inches as the scale in the plug-in.

The problem I get is that when the prints come back they look oversharpened. What appears to be happening is that the image seems to get compressed (squeezed to fit the size of paper), thus causing the oversharpened effect. I don't seem to be able to work out how to correctly sharpen and size the image to give the results I'm seeing on screen.

I'm not using a pro-lab, just Jessops. I don't think they are applying a further shapening to the process.

Any Advice?

Thanks

Pete

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I follow your exact process and do not have any problems. One thing I do is to tell the printer that I want the image "printed as submitted" with no further corrections.

4. Try submitting the same file to a different lab and see if you still get the oversharpened look.

It is possible that the your lab is applying sharpening on your file before printing it. What I do is instruct them to print without any modification -sharpening, adjustment layer, saturation etc.

5. Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how much control I have over the process as they are just a high street printer. I'll experiment with a few others to see if I can get better results.