RESOLVED. D200 or D2X. Purchased D2H.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by grt_napa, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Have been a photo enthusiast for years but after purchasing a D70 about a year ago I have experienced a resurgence of interest and enthusiasm. Recently sold my D80 as I felt it offered only minor improvements over the D70. Bought a used D40 for knock-about use (late afternoon hikes, etc.) and have been trying to decide between buying a new D200 ($1,300 online) or a used one. Given the minor difference between "Mint" used and new (US warranty) I am inclined to go with an online D200 purchase. HOWEVER, I have been following the dialog in the Nikon Cafe about the D2H and D2X series and find myself wondering if I am on the right track with a D200. My use will be for landscapes, family and friend portraits, and occasional semi-pro shoots for a local interior designer. Any thoughts are welcomed...and I thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  2. Gordon,

I have been using the d200 for a year and am getting a d2x only because I want as much AF muscle as I can for wildlife. (I previously used an f5 and a d70). The d200 is an amazing body for the money, and I will definitely keep mine as a backup digital body since I can control multiple speedlights with it (the d2x can't without the su800).

Sean

3. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    D2X ALL THE WAY
    no comparison between the 2
    OI never have to sharpen images with the D2X and I ALWAYS had to with my D200 (got rid of it as fast as I was able to)

4. Hi Deb, What was your camera setting on the D200 that you always had to sharpen your shots?

Anthony

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It seems for your use, you won't be needing lightning fast af, so I'd save the difference in price and go with the D200 and get some good glass. The D200 is a capable camera, with lots of pro-level features. I had one, but needed the fastest AF I could get, so I traded up to a D2x. The D200 has excellent image quality and the LCD is top notch.
    As for sharpening, it's part of my work flow, so I have to sharpen D100, D200 and D2x images.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I presently shoot with both D2X and D200. For your use I'd choose D200 for the reasons previously mentioned.

7. I have the D2X and love it as much as Deb. But based on your list of subjects, I would have to agree with the guys, your subjects are controlled and not moving very fast. Good glass on the D200 would make a great combo. I use the D2X for high school sports with my kids, so the AF is very welcome. However, I also shoot a lot of architecture which most of the time does not move much, so the AF is not much of an issue.

But before Deb kills me, I have to mention, there are many other advantages to the D2X(s) then AF. It is the top-of-the-line from Nikon, and for me it is well worth the extra $$$. There isn't a feature on it I would want to give up, and I can't think of much more I would want to add.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't always have to sharpen my D200 images if I nail it right. In camera is set to normal
    Well I guess that goes for any camera:>)))

If you can afford it.
    Go D2Xs

9. Greg V

Greg V

Feb 19, 2007
    SE Michigan
    I had a D2H and a D200. I sold the D200 after a month because of the low light focussing and autofocus speed at my kids sporting events. I now have the D2h and D2x and love both.

The D200 is a very capable camera, but like anything has limitations. I'd suggest renting one for a week or so to see if it meets your needs. If not, look for a good used D2x.

Best of luck.

10. Thanks...

for your helpful suggestions and thoughts!

11. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    Bill,
    I won't kill you:) I bought the D2Xs last week and LOVE it as much as my D2X.
    I was searching for a good used D2X for so long and none appeared so I got the "S"..and now, there are all these "X" available.
    Anthouny...I can't remember what my settings were. Maybe I had a dud but I just hated the D200. I do need a camera with a pop up but I am so hesitant to buy another one.
    By the way-I used to live right up the road from you in Matawan.

12. I have just recently bought the D2Xs and love it, but i also still very much love my D200, too. Both are excellent cameras. I think it would be a good idea for you to rent each for a week, put them through their paces, see what you think, and then make a purchase.