Resolved - My 24-70 seized up during a engagement party -- PHOTOS ADDED

I was shooting an engagement party Saturday before last and about 2 hours in, the zoom ring/dial completely seized up. It would not budge. I sent it back to Nikon and provided proof of purchase since it was still under their 5 year warranty. I received notification today stating, "ZOOM IS STUCK-MOUNT TAB BENT/DAMAGE" and it would not be covered under the warranty because the mount tab being bent or damaged is listed under impact damage. I never dropped it or anything and now I have to pay $600 because they list any mount tab issues as being impact damage. What can I do? If I had dropped it I would understand, but there wasn't any impact to speak of...

Last edited by a moderator:
but there wasn't any impact to speak of...
"to speak of" or "no impact damage" sound like to different things to me. Hit it the right way and you can do an amazing amount of damage.

On the other side, Nikon weaseling itself out of warranty repairs claiming "impact damage" is not really something that is unheard of. Calling and asking for a supervisor might help, based on similar stories I've heard of in the past.

"to speak of" or "no impact damage" sound like to different things to me. Hit it the right way and you can do an amazing amount of damage.

On the other side, Nikon weaseling itself out of warranty repairs claiming "impact damage" is not really something that is unheard of. Calling and asking for a supervisor might help, based on similar stories I've heard of in the past.
This "impact damage" is becoming a common theme. I hope I never have to go through this aggravation. Good luck and keep fighting.

So sorry to hear that!!! Welcome to to the wonderful world of Nikon CS where they BLAME damage on impact even when there was none!!!!

They SCREWED me out of $500 on still under warranty 70-200. And I'm not the only one...

Seems to be there's a LONG list and it's growing!!!

With all the horror stories about Nikon warranty service, I think I'll start buying "grey market" lenses, and if any problems arise I'll send them to an independent like APS. I think in the long run it would be more economical (and much less stressful).

I agree that you should call and speak with a manager. Nikon's California service is not, in my experience, responsive to anything less. I won't use them again unless I am forced to.

I agree that you should call and speak with a manager. Nikon's California service is not, in my experience, responsive to anything less. I won't use them again unless I am forced to.
When I had my issue I spoke with a manager and he just agreed with the tech. When I asked him if he looked at my lens and saw the "supposed" impact damage he said he had not. I questioned him on that and when I did he told me he would give me a 20% discount on the final bill!!! I got stroked!!!! There was NO impact damage on my lens!!! The lens to this day has never been dropped or bumped!!!

I have been lucky with my Nikon gear but I certainly hate to hear stories like yours. Yours is not the only one I have heard of, there are some more and invariably they blame the customer.
This is not the Nikon I knew and I no longer use their services preferring APS in Illinois.
I think that if I had to buy a 24-70 Tamron would immediately come to mind.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I forgot to add that I dealt with Melville NY, thinking it would someway since I could just drive the lens there myself.

With all the horror stories about Nikon warranty service, I think I'll start buying "grey market" lenses, and if any problems arise I'll send them to an independent like APS. I think in the long run it would be more economical (and much less stressful).
I started doing this ..Errr, about 8 years ago and the money I saved, would have paid for any repair that I needed.
Plus these days, even grey market items from the "better" retailers get a 12 month warranty from them (not Nikon)...
Just tired of dealing with these so called great warranty's that manufactures promise and only about 5% of them deliver...

I forgot to add that I dealt with Melville NY, thinking it would someway since I could just drive the lens there myself.
Just go there and get them to show you the so called damage that was supposedly caused by the lens being dropped...
Then argue your case with them...

Just go there and get them to show you the so called damage that was supposedly caused by the lens being dropped...
Then argue your case with them...
I did. And I brought all my cameras with me to show them the NOTHING WAS WRONG WIH ANY OF THEM!!! I went there 3 different times!!!

I was and am still so disgusted with the treatment I received from their CS. The tech that diagnosed the problem of "impact damage" called it BEFORE I even opened my backpack and showed him ANYTHING. I asked him if he wanted to see the camera it was attached to when it stopped working and he couldn't be bothered.

NPS service is wonderful. Somebody has to pay for that wonderfulness :smile:

I have been lucky with my Nikon gear but I certainly hate to hear stories like yours. Yours is not the only one I have heard of, there are some more and invariably they blame the customer.
This is not the Nikon I knew and I no longer use their services preferring APS in Illinois.
I think that if I had to buy a 24-70 Tamron would immediately come to mind.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.
I always bought Nikon lenses. But after buying my Tamron 90mm macro, I'm inclined to agree with you William. I don't think I'll be shelling out Nikon prices anymore with all the negative CS posts I've been reading lately.

They can only rely on their reputation for so long. Now that it's going downhill, people will not be paying that kind of money anymore.

Carole

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom