Resolved - My 24-70 seized up during a engagement party -- PHOTOS ADDED

Why don't you tell them to just send the lens back to you and send it to APS and see what they say? I'd get a second opinion before shelling out $600.

Carole

I used to work for Allstate Insurance in claims, if you had personal property stolen from your car, the car MUST show signs of forced entry, if not then the entire claim WILL be denied, even if some crook used a Slim Jim to gain access, thus if you have a bent tab, that reserves them the right to deny all repairs under warrentee, may not be right but that's their policy, not good for CS.

How can the lens mount cause the zoom ring to NOT properly work?????
It wouldn't Joe, though AF could be affected if the lens mount is bent enough to keep the electrical contacts from meeting properly. What I'm sure they are pointing out, is that lens mounts don't get bent in normal "wear and tear". They get bent from being dropped, or hit with something.

It wouldn't Joe, though AF could be affected if the lens mount is bent enough to keep the electrical contacts from meeting properly. What I'm sure they are pointing out, is that lens mounts don't get bent in normal "wear and tear". They get bent from being dropped, or hit with something.
I would agree - if I were Nikon, I'd see the bent mount and the red flag would go up. I had a zoom ring seize up while I was just holding the lens, unmounted, so I can see where evidence of a drop would raise an eyebrow.

Warranty or not, insurance is so important for this type of gear.

Sean

Ahhh... True. Thanks for point THAT out Steve.

This is mind-blowingly insane.

So here's the end result - I sent in the lens because of the seized up zoom ring. They unboxed it, noticed a minor dent/bent on the mount, voided the warranty, and estimates the repairs at $600. I called and spoke with more then 3 supervisors explaining I had no idea what caused the dent/bent, and that it did not impact my ability to use or properly mount the lens on the camera (I just checked last week). Here's the kicker - They're refusing to even open up the lens to see what the problem is regarding the zoom ring seizing up before they get their $600 for the minor bent on the mount tab. And not only that, the zoom ring issue would most likely be additional cost to fix since the $600 is ONLY to fix the minor dent/bent, which I don't care one lick about since it's a non-issue when it comes to shooting photos/using the lens. So I have no idea what's causing the zoom ring to seize up because they demand $600 upfront for a non-issue that has nothing whatsoever to do with my sending in the lens in to Nikon in the first place... Bait and switch?

I almost feel like it's a scam... sent in for issue A, they find issue B, they demand monies for issue B before even telling me how much issue A will cost out of pocket. What a joke!

How can the lens mount cause the zoom ring to NOT properly work?????
They won't even tell me the reason for the zoom ring not working until they get their $600 to fix the minor dent/bent... and even then, the $600 is only for the minor dent/bent... and the true problem of the zoom ring seizing up could add to the cost of the total bill... extortion is what it is...

I would agree - if I were Nikon, I'd see the bent mount and the red flag would go up. I had a zoom ring seize up while I was just holding the lens, unmounted, so I can see where evidence of a drop would raise an eyebrow.

Warranty or not, insurance is so important for this type of gear.

Sean
So true, Sean. My gear is insured for anything that happens to it. The insurance is only $5 a month. I have a totally separate policy for my gear and there is no deductible.

Carole

They won't even tell me the reason for the zoom ring not working until they get their $600 to fix the minor dent/bent... and even then, the $600 is only for the minor dent/bent... and the true problem of the zoom ring seizing up could add to the cost of the total bill... extortion is what it is...
The zoom ring repairs tend to be rather modular in nature - it's like taking your car in because you lost first gear. The mechanic may not be interested in finding the single gear that's broken, they just want to swap out the entire transmission to be safe and they're not going to spend any time opening it up until you give approval to do the repair the way they want to do it.

On my zoom ring lockup, the $600 resulted in a good portion of the lens being replaced, which for me was fine because it was an investment in rebuilding an old lens to make it new, and my insurance covered all but the premium.

You'd almost have to send it to APS first to replace the mount piece, and then send it into Nikon for the warranty part.

Sean

I went through the SAME THING with Nikon Melville. I had to pay up front. When I explained to them that they had my $2000 lens they could care less!!!

But it's irrelevant since the bent/dent in the photos does not prohibit me from mounting the lens on a camera or taking photos... They want $600 BEFORE even finding out what's wrong with the zoom lens seizing up... which could add to the total bill. Could the minor dent/bent in the photo have caused the zoom ring to seize up? Sure, of course... anything is possible... Is it reasonable to demand $600 before even telling the customer why the zoom ring seized up, and is the only reason he sent the lens in to begin with??? Extortion comes to mind... You sent your lens in for issue A, we found issue B... Yes, we know issue B has nothing to do with your ability to use the lens, but we must fix issue b at the cost of $600 before we even tell you the reason/ problem with issue B or how much issue B will cost...

The zoom ring repairs tend to be rather modular in nature - it's like taking your car in because you lost first gear. The mechanic may not be interested in finding the single gear that's broken, they just want to swap out the entire transmission to be safe and they're not going to spend any time opening it up until you give approval to do the repair the way they want to do it.

On my zoom ring lockup, the $600 resulted in a good portion of the lens being replaced, which for me was fine because it was an investment in rebuilding an old lens to make it new, and my insurance covered all but the premium.

You'd almost have to send it to APS first to replace the mount piece, and then send it into Nikon for the warranty part.

Sean
But here's the problem... I brought the car in because of overheating, they notice there's minor body damage to the driver's side, demand $X of money to fix the body damage BEFORE even telling me how much it will cost to fix the overheating issue or what the reason is for the car overheating in the first place... And the reason for this is, they tell me, is that the car has to be in factory condition before leaving their shop... When the minor body damage doesn't impact my ability to drive the car in the first place!!!!

But here's the problem... I brought the car in because of overheating, they notice there's minor body damage to the driver's side, demand $X of money to fix the body damage BEFORE even telling me how much it will cost to fix the overheating issue or what the reason is for the car overheating in the first place... And the reason for this is, they tell me, is that the car has to be in factory condition before leaving their shop... When the minor body damage doesn't impact my ability to drive the car in the first place!!!!
Bad analogy, in my opinion. What I believe Nikon is saying is that your Zoom ring issue could be caused by the same impact damage that caused the bent part of the lens mount, so they won't touch the lens unless you are willing to pay. I would think exactly the same thing if you were asking me for Warranty repair. This may look like "minor" damage to you, but as has been pointed out, the $600 repair cost will likely replace a lot more than just the mount. In the case of your car analogy, often what looks like "minor" damage can be much larger. A friend of mine was rear-ended recently in his Prius, just what looked like a dent in the bumper as well as the hatch. Turned out all the crumple zones in the back of the car were destroyed.

You might check around the 'Net and see if you can buy the lens mount ring yourself. The problem with doing something like this now is that Nikon probably has you in the system with the lens serial number.

If it were me, I'd follow the advice to get a second opinion from APS.

Bad analogy, in my opinion. What I believe Nikon is saying is that your Zoom ring issue could be caused by the same impact damage that caused the bent part of the lens mount, so they won't touch the lens unless you are willing to pay.
THIS.

If we stick to the analogy: "my car just has some algea on the steering wheel and the ceiling. Nothing you can't rub off with some windex, and it's only optical, not structural. Why don't you want to buy my car?"

Given the photos I can't blame Nikon for the position they're taking. Sure, you say that there's no impact damage. And you might be right. But they are seeing damage that can be attributed to impact damage AND a problem that sounds like impact damage. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

The ones to be angry at are not Nikon, but all the #$$$$## that have impact damage and send their lens/camera to Nikon claiming it's not. If it weren't for all the people trying to take advantage of the warranty, Nikon wouldn't be doubting you.

Finally... are you SURE there's no impact damage? No children in the house who could have played with the camera and had an "accident" you're not aware of? A wedding guest playing with the camera behind your back, dropping it and putting it back on the table while you're talking to the bridezilla? A bag that got shoved off the table while you were checking in, and landed in an unfortunate way? There are many options for your gear to get damaged without you being aware of it.

What I believe Nikon is saying is that your Zoom ring issue could be caused by the same impact damage that caused the bent part of the lens mount, so they won't touch the lens unless you are willing to pay.
That's insane. Of course it "could be"... but the evidence is INSIDE the camera... They are simply wanting $600 to fix the bent/dent before they even look under the hood to find the real reason for the problem I sent the lens in for in the first place...

I would think exactly the same thing if you were asking me for Warranty repair. This may look like "minor" damage to you, but as has been pointed out, the $600 repair cost will likely replace a lot more than just the mount.
Yet I have to put up the $600 first before even finding out the total bill? $600 I have no reason to pay for the dent/bent, but which I would gladly pay for addressing the zoom ring seizing up.

In the case of your car analogy, often what looks like "minor"
damage can be much larger.
Then let's change the analogy... I have a laptop with minor screen damage and a hard drive that won't spin up... I send it back to Dell or whoever... They see the screen damage, assume it was dropped, label it as impact damage, and want $600 to fix the screen before even finding out how much it will cost to fix the hard drive issue... I have no problem with the minor screen damage... it does not prohibit me from using the system whatsoever... But even before they look at the problem I sent the laptop in for, the faulty hard drive, they want me to pay for the screen upfront... Could the incident that caused the damage to the screen also have caused the hard drive issue? OF COURSE... but it's insane to demand monies to fix the screen before even diagnosing the problem with the hard drive, which is the reason the laptop was sent back...

Bottom line - I have no problem paying for fixing the zoom ring seizing up... but Nikon demands me to pay for something I don't want/need fixed BEFORE even giving me an estimate on fixing the zoom ring...

But they are seeing damage that can be attributed to impact damage AND a problem that sounds like impact damage. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
Fine... let's say for a moment there is impact damage... What does that have to do with Nikon's inability to give me an estimate on fixing the zoom ring seizing up? And let's say all the problems with the lens has to do with one impact that resulted in the zoom ring seizing up... Nikon can't even give me an estimate on how much it will cost... they just know, based on a minor bent/dent, that they want $600 and the warranty is void. ACK! I would gladly pay them to open up the lens and evaluate the reason the zoom ring is seized up... but they won't even do that... the total bill could be $601 or $1601... I fail to grasp why they're refusing to even open it up, look inside, and give a reasonable estimate as to the total cost.

Finally... are you SURE there's no impact damage?
No, I'm not... but whether there is or not is completely irrelevant to my point... :smile:

That's insane. Of course it "could be"... but the evidence is INSIDE the camera... They are simply wanting $600 to fix the bent/dent before they even look under the hood to find the real reason for the problem I sent the lens in for in the first place...
Bottom line - I have no problem paying for fixing the zoom ring seizing up... but Nikon demands me to pay for something I don't want/need fixed BEFORE even giving me an estimate on fixing the zoom ring...
I'll tell you what is "insane" from my point of view. I cannot imagine how the damage to your lens mount could be anything but a fairly major impact. I have a 400 f2.8 AFS-1, these were made from 1998-2001. I am, as far as I know, the second owner, the first being a pro sports shooter from Florida. I am guessing, from his profession, that he did not baby his equipment, and while I take care of mine, it is used as well, not babied, and this lens is mounted/dismounted multiple times each month. I cannot fathom how I could bend that part of the lens mount, and don't see how that could be any sort of "minor" impact. If I were Nikon, I would not open your lens either, as I would be worried about what else might be lurking inside.

You may not want it fixed, but if I were Nikon there is no way I would attempt to fix the zoom ring issue, or even quote the cost, not having a guarantee that I was going to get paid to take the whole lens apart, and once I have it apart replacing the parts is the least of the cost, as I have to put it back together again if you don't agree to the charges. Have you ever looked at what it takes to dismantle one of these lenses? It ain't 3 screws and 15 minutes.

I understand your frustration, but would you be willing to do multiple hours of work with no guarantee of payment?

It looks like you're at an impasse with Nikon. They don't want to open your lens without authorization. You don't want to authorize that amount. You might not agree with the way it's being handled. So be it. They aren't likely to change positions and you aren't either. Nikon isn't the only place that can fix your lens.

There's no sense in dragging it out with Nikon. Simplify things and ask them to send the lens back and try someone else as others have suggested. From my experience, APS is great to work with. Put it behind you and move on.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom