Resolved-Urgnt Mac help needed

All of a sudden my desktop and finder windows have the pinwheel of death. I manually shut the comuter down and restarted it and it came back up with the pinwheel. I can accedd the menu bar but any folders in either open finder window so I can't get to the activity monitor. I can't click on anything on the desktop.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rich

Rich
Make sure no buttons are stuck down on the keyboard. Maybe unplug any external devices and try again. Sorry I can not be of more help but it may be time to call apple care on this

Thanks for responding Dave. I restarted again and when it was autoloading applications finder opened up and I got a shot at activity monitor and also got to the disk utility. I quickly ran repair disk permissions; there were tons of them. Then I ran repair disk and it took a while. Things seem ok now.

I was moving lots of nef files around preparatory to to processing. I suspect the disk and permissions got wonky (Paul-ism).

Rich

Do you leave your machine on 24/7? That might have something to do with this problem, too. I find that it is beneficial to shut down every night and/or when there is a storm approaching. Rebooting refreshes the RAM, of course, and that is most helpful in machines that don't have a lot of memory. In all the time I've had Macs I have not ever had to "repair permissions" and I haven't had any serious incidents, so I can't help but think that the fact that I don't keep any of my machines running all the time has something to do with this....

Do you leave your machine on 24/7? That might have something to do with this problem, too. I find that it is beneficial to shut down every night and/or when there is a storm approaching. Rebooting refreshes the RAM, of course, and that is most helpful in machines that don't have a lot of memory. In all the time I've had Macs I have not ever had to "repair permissions" and I haven't had any serious incidents, so I can't help but think that the fact that I don't keep any of my machines running all the time has something to do with this....
You might want to repair permissions; you may be surprised. The techhies recommend doing it once a month.

Rich

when finder is doing this can be caused as well with to many items on the desktop, remember to that you can boot to safe boot to resolve many issues as well
to do this you have to sound on
turn the mac off
when you here the music chord hold down the shift key
you will soon see the gray apple screen
near the bottom center you will see it starting to spin (animated) when you see it spinning let go the shift key you will see message Safe Boot
resetting pram can also fix issues

John (lowolf)

Alrighty, have run "repair permissions" on the iMac and the MBP....tomorrow I'll do it on the Mac Pro, too. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take all that long on the iMac, after all. Thought maybe it would because this is the machine which has received the heaviest use.

I'll also leave the iMac on all night, too, see if that gives the CRON thing a chance to do some basic housekeeping.

I think I'll look into Macaroni and MacJanitor, as that would probably be my best solution, having a program which would do these tasks for me at a time when I've actually got the machine on and running. I did leave the iMac on all last night but of course it eventually went to sleep and I'm not sure if the CRON processes run then. ?? I have the impression they don't, that the machine needs to be fully awake and running. ?

Cron's usually run now when you are using the computer. No longer necessary to leave the computer on all night. One can check the logs and determine if they have run. Or there is a widget by Giant Mike that will show you when they were run last and if you don't like what you see I believe one can run them from it.

I normally repair permissions before installing any new software, and if the software is not from Apple I run them again after installing. I also do it after each update from Apple.

Try using a utility called Oynx it allows you to run many option s above repairing permissions plus you can schedule it to run the tasks

Courtesy of rprather at macosg.com,
If you look at the Console logs - in the Left column select /var/log then look under daily.out, or weekly.out, or monthly.out the log will indicate the last time each one was run.

Check out his tips and tricks on the macosg.com podcast, find it on iTunes.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom