Resolved-Urgnt Mac help needed

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 20, 2007.

1. All of a sudden my desktop and finder windows have the pinwheel of death. I manually shut the comuter down and restarted it and it came back up with the pinwheel. I can accedd the menu bar but any folders in either open finder window so I can't get to the activity monitor. I can't click on anything on the desktop.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rich

2. Rich
    Make sure no buttons are stuck down on the keyboard. Maybe unplug any external devices and try again. Sorry I can not be of more help but it may be time to call apple care on this

3. Thanks for responding Dave. I restarted again and when it was autoloading applications finder opened up and I got a shot at activity monitor and also got to the disk utility. I quickly ran repair disk permissions; there were tons of them. Then I ran repair disk and it took a while. Things seem ok now.

I was moving lots of nef files around preparatory to to processing. I suspect the disk and permissions got wonky (Paul-ism).

Rich

4. Do you leave your machine on 24/7? That might have something to do with this problem, too. I find that it is beneficial to shut down every night and/or when there is a storm approaching. Rebooting refreshes the RAM, of course, and that is most helpful in machines that don't have a lot of memory. In all the time I've had Macs I have not ever had to "repair permissions" and I haven't had any serious incidents, so I can't help but think that the fact that I don't keep any of my machines running all the time has something to do with this....

5. You might want to repair permissions; you may be surprised. The techhies recommend doing it once a month.

Rich

6. Probably the iMac (my oldest and most-used machine to date) would benefit from repairing permissions, now that you mention it. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days....

7. You mean like me going on a diet? :rolleyes: You'll be sorry...the Macs are not THAT forgiving.

Rich

8. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    when finder is doing this can be caused as well with to many items on the desktop, remember to that you can boot to safe boot to resolve many issues as well
    to do this you have to sound on
    turn the mac off
    when you here the music chord hold down the shift key
    you will soon see the gray apple screen
    near the bottom center you will see it starting to spin (animated) when you see it spinning let go the shift key you will see message Safe Boot
    resetting pram can also fix issues

John (lowolf)

9. seamus

seamus

Jan 2, 2006
    Ireland
    one of the dgrin regulars has this troubleshooting page. I got macaroni and haven't had any problems (touch wood), hth

Seamus.

10. Alrighty, have run "repair permissions" on the iMac and the MBP....tomorrow I'll do it on the Mac Pro, too. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take all that long on the iMac, after all. Thought maybe it would because this is the machine which has received the heaviest use.

I'll also leave the iMac on all night, too, see if that gives the CRON thing a chance to do some basic housekeeping.

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  12. I think I'll look into Macaroni and MacJanitor, as that would probably be my best solution, having a program which would do these tasks for me at a time when I've actually got the machine on and running. I did leave the iMac on all last night but of course it eventually went to sleep and I'm not sure if the CRON processes run then. ?? I have the impression they don't, that the machine needs to be fully awake and running. ?

13. Cron's usually run now when you are using the computer. No longer necessary to leave the computer on all night. One can check the logs and determine if they have run. Or there is a widget by Giant Mike that will show you when they were run last and if you don't like what you see I believe one can run them from it.

I normally repair permissions before installing any new software, and if the software is not from Apple I run them again after installing. I also do it after each update from Apple.

14. Try using a utility called Oynx it allows you to run many option s above repairing permissions plus you can schedule it to run the tasks

15. Is this a great place or what? You ask a question and get great answers and suggestions. Thanks, all.

Rich

16. Thanks, guys! OK, Larry, so how do I access the CRON logs?

17. Courtesy of rprather at macosg.com,
    If you look at the Console logs - in the Left column select /var/log then look under daily.out, or weekly.out, or monthly.out the log will indicate the last time each one was run.

Check out his tips and tricks on the macosg.com podcast, find it on iTunes.

18. Thanks, Larry!

Uh...."Console logs?"

Do I have to go into Terminal for this?

19. No, use Console, find it in Utilties in your Applications folder.

20. Thanks, Larry! I'll have a look at it.... :smile:

That is nice to know that the Cron thing runs all the time and that I don't have to keep my machines running all night for it after all!