Results: 35mm 1.8 DX on a 35mm camera?

Edit: Pictures on page two...

Today I put the 35mm 1.8 G DX on the F80 to see if the results are as catastrophic as KR seems to think they are. Results will be in in a few days, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask if you guys have tried it.

I really want a WA lens (preferrably even wider than 35), but if the 35 I already own can be used I can postpone it a few months until I can actually afford a 24 or 28...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen many examples shot with it on a D700, which should yield similar results. Apparanty, you don't want to stop down and focus at infinity. Within a couple of meters distance however, there is falloff but it does work very well.

Better idea: buy a second-hand 28 2.8 AIS. They're both cheap and brilliant. During daytime focusing a 28 is a waste of time anyway, and wide angles are easy to focus when you need to.

Some people consider a 35mm to be a "normal" lens, and use it in place of the typical 50mm. Wide angle usually runs from 28mm to 20mm. Under 20mm is "super-wide". As braver recommended, a 28mm is probably the best all-rounder, and can't be beat for the price. For myself, I prefer something a little wider, like a 24mm, or even a 20mm.

Yeah, I know what a 35mm lens is, the question I still haven't really resolved (because I haven't developed any shot with it yet) is whether the focus falls off so dramatically that it is useless with a 35mm camera, or if it is marginal so I can perhaps just crop the scan a few pixels.

Some times me and the pros have different ideas about usefulness... :)

Tormod

I don't have a large sample size, but I took some pics with the 35mm on my N80 I recently acquired. I believe the results looked pretty good to me. I would not hesitate to use it again if the need arose. That particular day, I was taking pics in pretty good light, so I did not try it in marginal light. I was not using it wide open.

I think SP77 (Steve) used his DX 35 on an F100 a while back and posted the images here, if you can't find them try dropping him a PM.

Like I said, what I want is a wider angle lens. I have a 50mm AIS, but I also have a 50mm AF, which is on the F80 90% of the time.
I love my Sigma 10-20 for the D200, and I would very much like to have a very wide angle lens for the F80. But in the meantime I thought I'd try to use the 35mm that I already have, unless you guys happen to know it is absolutely useless due to the rumoured falloff.

Thanks for the replies so far. I will try it a bit, but probably not for crucial shots (yeah right crucial in my amateur hack sense of the word, of course... ).

Yup.

Just bought some more film, including a roll of 50 ASA Velvia. Stay tuned. :biggrin:

Real Name
Chris
It all depends on if YOU can live with the DX effect on your pictures Tormod. What one may call terrible vignetting, another may call artistically burned corners.

I will be curious to see how it works, so please do post a test shot when you get one done.

it all depends on if you can live with the dx effect on your pictures tormod. What one may call terrible vignetting, another may call artistically burned corners.

I will be curious to see how it works, so please do post a test shot when you get one done.

ok! ;)

I think SP77 (Steve) used his DX 35 on an F100 a while back and posted the images here, if you can't find them try dropping him a PM.

I remember that because he was using Portra along the 35/1.8 on an F100. So it was easy to search for:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=219843

Nice photos, and no vignetting for his first shot.

In the thread he links to more:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=2486651&postcount=52

Apparently the key is distance as well as aperture. Vignetting isn't as much a problem close up.

For $200 it's great.

Hm. The answer is that vignetting and falloff varies greatly with aperture, from slight to disastrous.

I'll post examples, but I simply can't trust this lens on the F80.
The hunt for a wide angle (24, perhaps) is on.

Two samples.
The bridge shot was at f/11, the other one I'm not quite sure but I assume maximum f/4.

3770964779_495d5b0c0e_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3770964297_2c344cc187_b.jpg

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Tormod.

The f/2 version is looking even better. :( Unfortunately I took mine apart for a de-greasing, and I'm not sure I can get it back together correctly! :eek: But this does not look useable, especially since I shoot at f/11 all the time!

Oh... just realized that's with the lens hood attached. Maybe I need to do a test without that on. :doh:

Just getting back to my final results:
The hood had nothing to do with it.
Same results without hood and UV filter.
f/4 borderline OK, f/11 *not* OK.
Of course, there's always cropping it... :biggrin:

3782350417_a717be7280_b.jpg

The 35DX works great on film or FX digital if you use it as a photojournalist type wide angle where your focus distance is closer. Phillip Ino has found that it works phenomenally well on a D700 for wedding work, for example. It's not suitable as a landscape lens where you're typically focusing at the long end or infinity because that's where it vignettes more. Also as you stop down, the vignetting cutoff gets harder and more defined whereas if you keep it at a larger aperture (as in PJ work) it's a soft vignette not unlike many other lenses.

Looks like Big Daddy found one of my other threads, but here's another photo from that same dinner.

F100, 35DX @ probably f/2, Portra 800
503804945_cbBq5-XL.jpg

I don't do a whole lot of landscape shooting with film, but if I did I'd probably just use my 28-105 lens, or pickup a manual focus 35mm prime. I wouldn't use this 35DX lens. I tried it once and the results were similar to Tormod's. Lots of hard vignetting. You can crop to the equivalent of 40mm or so, but I'd rather just use a lens that would work for that.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom