Resurrecting an Old Work Horse.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by StephanieC, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Pulled my husband's Nikkormat FT2 out of the closet last night and loaded a roll of Ilford XR2 400. To my surprise, the meter battery still works! This camera hasn't been used in almost 10 years!

I'm limited lens-wise to:

a) a Nikkor 35mm 2.0 (non-AI) that has a broken aperture (I can stop it down using the lever on the back of the lens, but if I open it up while on the camera I have to remove it to stop it down again).

b) a Vivitar 70-210 zoom

I'm thinking of challenging my creativity by putting the 35 2.0 on the camera and shooting the entire roll wide open. :smile:

I've seen someone suggest going to Costco for developing and scans.

My first (D)SLR was a D70s. I'm really excited to try something new!

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Old work horses are fun. I have a Nikkormat EL from about 1972 with manual lenses. Well, it's fun for about 10 min and then I want my DSLR back in hand. It took my 10 minutes to be able to pull a film into the dang camera.

Have fun with it. Them manual lenses sure make you think about things before shooting.

3. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Ah, cool find. So far, Costco delivers the highest resolution/sharpest scans I've seen from any cheap 1 hour place. It costs me $3 for development and scans at my costco, which in my opinion is a great deal.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya know Steph, if you get tired of fighting your old lens, your 50, 60 and 28-70 listed in your sig should work fine.

Have fun, and don't forget to show us what you get from it!

5. Doesn't the FT2 need lenses with the meter coupling prong?

6. I thought so, but I know next to nothing about these old film bodies & lenses. I'm slowly educating myself. :tongue: The old MF lenses I have do have the coupling prong. Could my newer AF/AF-S lenses be used without it even without them?

I did fire off a few frames this afternoon with the 35 f/2. I think the best part was seeing my kids' reactions when they realized there was no preview to be seen after the shutter was released!