Rethinking 24-70 2.8 G Purchase. Primes?

Get the 20. Bought 24-70 f2.8G and rarely use it. If you’re doing street then ok but landscape/ architecture then I would go 20/24 prime. I actually regret the 24-70 purchase, 14-24 would have been a better decision for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spent 4 HOURS on the phone today with a really interesting gentlemen after responding to an ad he posted on CL regarding a very large collection of mostly AIS lenses. We talked about a lot of things... A LOT!! He is very knowledgeable about a variety of subjects and it really was fun to learn, and trade stories. He shared a lot of knowledge that is next to impossible to get without experience, which I very much appreciate.

You lens lust guys would love this. His grandfather was a pro, and when he passed had over 160 lenses in his collection. Many of them were duplicates, triplicates, or even quadruplets. I guess he liked backups for his backups. I plan to meet with him tomorrow regarding a 28 2.8 AIS, 60 Micro, 105 2.5, 105 2.8, 135 2.8, and possibly a 200 f4. All in like new condition. And after speaking with him regarding his previous transactions and how he was taught to care for his gear, I wouldn't doubt the condition for one minute.

Real Name
Randy
I followed up on another 24-70 for sale on a popular board, and I must have asked the seller too many questions about the lens and it's condition, as he "declined my offer" on the lens. "My offer" was a price that was set by the seller, which was the full asking price. Yikes.
What was your feedback
It’s not rare for me to not sell to someone w low feedback

Real Name
Randy
I spent 4 HOURS on the phone today with a really interesting gentlemen after responding to an ad he posted on CL regarding a very large collection of mostly AIS lenses. We talked about a lot of things... A LOT!! He is very knowledgeable about a variety of subjects and it really was fun to learn, and trade stories. He shared a lot of knowledge that is next to impossible to get without experience, which I very much appreciate.

You lens lust guys would love this. His grandfather was a pro, and when he passed had over 160 lenses in his collection. Many of them were duplicates, triplicates, or even quadruplets. I guess he liked backups for his backups. I plan to meet with him tomorrow regarding a 28 2.8 AIS, 60 Micro, 105 2.5, 105 2.8, 135 2.8, and possibly a 200 f4. All in like new condition. And after speaking with him regarding his previous transactions and how he was taught to care for his gear, I wouldn't doubt the condition for one minute.
You are way too easy and anything on CL is a risk and anything in person even worse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clix Pix: D4S

Randy,

My feedback on FM is 12 positives I believe. I overreacted from the first seller being so off on the description and I think I went overboard on the second seller and spooked him/her? Idk

Regarding the gentleman I spoke with on the phone, I am usually pretty good at sniffing out a bullsh!tter, and this guy ain't one of them.

I am using the Tam 24-70G2 on my Z7, with Tap-in-Console. So some images with crops. Firstly - at 70mm, wide open. Secondly - at 35mm, f4.0. Thirdly - at 24mm. On your judgment. Please notice, there is my copy of the lens, as well as my situation. Good luck! LZ
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i know everyones needs are diferent & your lens bag is like a toolbox where you pick the right tool for the job, but for me, i couldn't do without a midrange zoom.
24-70 is easily my most used lens. useful range for general purposes & still has that blazing fast AF (y)

An alternate lens is the 24-120/4, for a bit more of a GP lens.
Not as sharp or as fast as the 24-70/2.8, but depending on how you shoot, that could be an 80% lens. Used for 80% of your shots.
If I switched to FX, that would be my GP lens.

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 G ED lens things to watch out for

First of all around the front lens is a slim plastic ring covering screws Marked in yellow if not sure.
DsEX4Eq.jpg

This is is kept in place with some sort of double sided tape. Well mine came off and you can't seem to get a replacement. I have tried, but trying to explain the part, its is like talking to a brick wall. So I cleaned this up and used, strange as it may seem carpet glue. Hope that works only redid it today after other glue failed and super glue is a no no.

Second problem is using the built in flash , try taking a flash with the hood on and you get a half dark circle at the bottom of the photo.Either leave the hood off or use a flash mounted on the shoe.

Apart from that it is my "go to" walk about lens an d been with me to many countries

Last edited:
24-70mm is a great event lens. Flexible focal length range with excellent IQ. If you are doing event photography, it's tough to be stuck with a prime lens on your camera. However, this lens is just too big and heavy for me as an all purpose walk around lens these days.

Mitchell
We went to Clearwater many many years ago, must have been around the year 2000 . Went on that huge speedboat and out to sea and saw the manatees in the aquarium.Drove down from Orlando and stayed for a week then back to Orlando (disney world) for another week before we flew home. Took in the space centre as well
That drive was a complete nightmare. Driving on trhe wrong side of the road and cars overtaking on both sides. Forget trying to put petrol "gas" in the car the pumps are different to what they were in the UK. The assistant had to help.

Actually had a really great time

I'm not a fan of the 24-xx range, unless I'm doing low light no flash photography that requires me to be in a fixed position like shooting under a hoop for basketball or doing videos from back stage, but not far enough to use something longer like a 70-200mm. If I have freedom of movement, I prefer going wide and close with the 16-35mm or fast wide prime.

I never thought I'd recommend a 3rd party lens but you should consider the Sigma Art 18-35 1.8 or the 24-35 f2. On my D800 zoomed to 18mm (18-35) with the vignetting cropped off manually in post, I get an equivalent 24mm field of view and the image ends up being a smidge over 20mp and with f1.8 light gathering ability.

Or of course the Z 24-70 f4 a cracking lens and not at all overshadowed by its more expensive stable mate.
Maybe consider that one!
Sorry only just noticed you are talking about an F mount lens!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom