Retired Greyhound

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by taurus, Aug 3, 2008.

1. In juxtaposition to the frantic racing greyhounds on the sports photos sub-forum here is Topper (his name after being adopted) the rescued greyhound who had raced in Florida.

He was adopted by my son and daughter-in-law and fits in very well with their NYC lifestyle. When not in motion he is a big couch potato. Here he is in his new NYC home in 2005 shortly after his adoption.

2724952947_cfd41efc4d.jpg

I have kept Topper company on a number of occasions when the kids are vacationing and have never met a more gentle, lovable dog, who, I guess because of his racing, is extremely well trained. When I walk him along the Hudson the little children ask if he is a cow.

Here is Topper in May 2008. The picture was taken within days after I got the D300 and could be improved.

2724952735_937f7320d2.png

Here is Topper after several top speed laps around our swimming pool, which he does with boundless enthusiasm. Next time he visits I intend to photo him at full speed thanks to the tips in the sports thread.

View attachment 233984

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Marina

Marina Guest

Wow, he's beautiful! Thank you to yours for rescuing him. I really hate to see them race in this heat in FL.
    I know a lady here who does the rescue, she has 4 on her own.

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Topper is adorable!!!

A couple from our church rescues Greyhounds in Lexington, KY. They adopted 2) of their own. Couch potatoes!! Several times we took our mini Schnauzer on a walk (on a lead) with their 2) Greyhounds. It looked hilarious!! They took a very fast pace, our Schnauzer struggled to keep the pace without running. 3) miles later, our Schnauzer was going strong, and the 2) Greyhounds were really dragging! We stopped the walk for them. They slept the rest of the day.

Thanks for sharing these images of your 4-legged family member!

4. Marina and John, Thanks for your words. Topper at 85 pounds is a gentle giant who likes everyone.

5. what a cute dog
    and such a sad story that some of these ex-racing dogs have face

great shots and thread

6. Greg, It is my hope that all of the retired greyhounds find homes. If everyone was aware of their actual nature, this would be a slam dunk.

7. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    My compliments regarding the rescue. Fine looking pooch - I love that last capture!

8. Thanks Holmes - We have a fenced-in 3/4 acre heavily wooded back yard. After a sniffing, marking meander, Topper takes off at high speed thru the woods, finishes with several laps around the pool and ends up like the last photo, belly pink from the run.

9. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    That is great to see!

Can you tell us a little bit about his daily routine? I've heard retired greyhounds, and greyhounds in perticular do require a lot of attention and care.

-Leo

10. i fully agree
    they are such wonderful creatures

thanks again, for this thread

11. Leo, Topper gets walked four times a day, fed and given clean water twice a day, has normal vet visits and grooming. He needs nothing special and because of his almost cat like sleeping habits is perfect even in a one bedroom NYC condo. He is usually curled up on his dog beds until it is time to go out. Then, ears up, tail wagging, he is all set to go. Greyhound walks are always on leash. He gets along very well with other dogs especially small ones and knows, blocks away, when another greyhound is in the vicinity. When greyhounds meet it is a joyful doggy event with front legs splayed out ready to play. Topper and a yorkie once got in the play stance, the yorkie about the size of Topper's paw, all set to go (next time my camera will be with me).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  12. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    very cute! I've heard nothing but good things about the dogs and their demeanors.

Thanks for sharing :)

13. Very pretty dog! I thought about adopting a greyhound, but don't know enough about the breed to know whether or not it would be a good one. Besides, hubby would have a fit!

14. One look at you with those soulful eyes and you would fall in love with your needle nose. They are, however, very laid back, not the in your face dogginess of a Lab or the constant motion of a Jack Russell.

15. He must be a couch potato. Looks like he packed on a few pounds and is out of fighting weight. Or, now in a different class. :biggrin:

16. His only fights now are with dog toys, but he still leaves the other dogs at the dog park in the dust.

17. How wonderful.....beautiful dog....great captures.