Retired!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexf, Mar 4, 2017.

1. I am retired as of March 3rd, 2017. Hooray!

I have now to get used to the idea, see how the finances and free time work.

I have been busy lately, and a little away from photography. Now I will have time to go back, maybe travel some.

Have now to learn how to function in this new chapter of life

Alex

• Like Like x 1
  2. Congrats

3. Congrats!! (y) Goin' on 9 yrs for me, and I FINALLY figured it out :ROFLMAO:

4. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    I view one's successful transition to retirement when you obtain the realization that your retired lifestyle does not permit any time for your old job.

Congrats on making it!!

5. +1

Congrats on your retirement. I'm busier now than when I was working full time. The only difference is that I now get to choose what I do--so everyday is an enjoyable experience.

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  6. Congrats Alex, I have < 6 before I am eligible but realistically, 8-10 since I have 3 kids to get through college. Getting to "choose" what to stay busy on is a good reward for many years in the workforce.

7. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Congratulations! I've been at it 19 years, I'm still enjoying the free time. If you run out of fun things to do, you're welcome to come and shovel snow here.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Congrats! Retirement is sooooooo under rated! LOL!

9. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    Congratulations, Alex! I can retire now from federal service, but have two large projects I want to see to completion. I do not plan on working past 2019, regardless of the project status. One of my colleagues asked if I was going to stay on as a retired annuitant. I told him he obviously doesn't know me well enough, else he wouldn't bother asking. When I silently retire and turn in all of my ID cards and badges, they will never see me in the same work environment. :D

10. Congrats! You'll love it.

I've been retired for almost five years , now, and haven't been bored for one second.

11. Congrats Alex! In 70 days I will join you :D

12. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Congratulations, Alex!

13. Congratulations Alex. I'm having the time of my life. My wife, well....

14. Have fun Alex. 10 years come June for me.

15. My advice is to keep busy - I've seen a lot of people age 10 years after 2 years of retirement by simply sitting around doing nothing - I don't think you will have a problem with that though :)

16. Congrats! I had the opportunity to take a year off from work and I was busier than ever but really found it to be invigorating and fun. I hope you really enjoy the freedom!

Sean

17. Good for you! Enjoy it!

18. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

That is fantastic - congratulations! I have just over a year to go (May 18, 2018) and cannot wait!

19. Thanks everybody. Hasn't sunk in yet. I have to do some adjusting, figure out the finances and taxes some more, and what to do with the time.
    Will be fun!

20. Some good advice I heard - Don't make any huge decisions for at least a year. [selling the house and touring the country etc.]