Retouching gurus, I need help! (Pic)

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, May 3, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    After adding more canvas and matching that to the rest of the shot fairly well, (thnx Dao!), I printed this file from a near full qual jpg this time as a test, (I usually print from tiffs). I found that while the 8x10 looked fine overall, the bright bokeh circles in the lower righthand corner stuck out like a sore thumb! I tried my feeble best to fix them, but failed miserably. Sorry to say, I still don't know my layer masks yet. Can anyone tell me how to make them less distracting?
    This IS a full service message board, isn't it? :shock: ;)
    The pic:
    original.

2. Try this:
    New Layer > Mode: Overlay
    click "Fill with Overlay Neutral Color" and then paint over the area gently with a very soft brush. Start at between 10-20% opacity and see where that gets you. Cheers, Sandi

3. you can also clone, heal, or patch them

Use different settings than "normal" - use "darken" or "color" or "luminosity".

I can't believe how long I used photoshop without realizing there's more than one way to dodge, burn, clone, heal, etc. What I've realized now is that using the "normal" setting is almost NEVER the best way.

I also will sometimes deal with bokeh issues like that by copying a layer, gaussian blurring, blending the layers, and then history brushing out everything else. have to add noise overall to keep the gaussian blurred area from sticking out like a sore blur.

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    original.
    Maybe I would start with something like this:
    [​IMG]

5. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Iliah,

That is great. Can you describe what you did?

There are couple of cicles left just below the flower in the middle. But I assume you just wanted to show what could be done. And you certainly did!

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    IMHO it is matter of taste how much of the circles to remove.

Made a mask for the flower, inverted it and darkened background a little, especially in the regions of circles.

Copied parts of surrounding, put it on a separate layer, rotated as necessary, blured, used opacity slider to get to the ballpark; layer mask used to control blending more accurately.

Basically, very straightforward. Wacom tablet, and about 3 minutes of work.

7. Hi Steve,

Here's my technique to darken disturbing highlighted areas in a background With Photoshop.

1.- Create a LEVELS ADJUSTMENT layer (Layer->New Adjustment Layer->Levels...)
    2.- By using the middle tone slider, adjust the image so that the highligted areas become grey dark. (In the case of your flower, I adjust it to 0.45)
    3.- Fill the Levels adjustment layer with Black (Edit->Fill->Contents Use= Black/Blending mode=Normal/Opacity=100%). With this step, the picture returns back to its initial tone state.
    4.- Choose white as foreground color then with the LEVEL ADJUSTMENT layer selected, use the Brush Tool to paint white over the highlighted areas. I use a Soft brush and begin with a brush opacity of 20%. If the darkening level doesn't suit my taste, I increase progressively the opacity (by 5% or 10% steps) and repaint until I reach the desired effect.

I like this technique because (1) I can control the degree of darkening by 2 ways : by the Brush opacity and in case I over done the darkening with painting, by readjusting the LEVEL and (2) I can control the degree of darkening of each highlighted area.

This technique seems a bit complicated with my explanation but once you try it, you will see it's quite easy to do. If you want, I can try to email you the PSD file of your flower adjusted by this technique but the file is large (around 3.5 meg).

Wish this helps.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone, just got back online!

Some numbn*ts cut through our Fiber Optic line yesterday @10am, and cut off the cable tv & cable internet for our entire township! It came back on sometime overnight.
    Let me see which one of these suggestions is easiest for me to do. Thanks for all the generous repies!

9. Steve:
    Both of the people have given you good ways to do what you want.
    Now you just need to make it happen.... and don't take the easy way home (red riding hood) you will never get any better doing it the easy way! :lol: :lol:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Images like this I throw out and go try to do it right.

Took a long time for me to throw anything away :>)))))))

It even takes a good image to do paintings and sketches with actions etc.

Doug, you are right, thank you for driving that home.