Return of the snow geese Warning! One was food for eagle

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 7, 2005.

1. My wife wanted to go for a drive yesterday, so I decided to go along to see if the snow geese had arrived. Well, they had and the sun even came out in the afternoon. It was cold but worth the effort. The snow geese have begun to arrive North of Seattle. These were shot with my D2x most at ISO 800. They are not the best shots and compared to what is being posted here probably don't belong but I did think it was pretty cool to see so many snow geese fly at one time so I wanted to share.

First thing I saw was this eagle and another on the field. As I got closer I could see it was eating one of the snow geese. Feathers were going all over the place, but it did not seem to bother it. What was funny was this one eagle ate the whole snow goose while the other one just watched. Here are a few and I hope I don't offend anyone. The really graffic ones, I am not posting.

original.

View attachment 17843

View attachment 17844

View attachment 17845

Then the eagle flew and stirred up all these snow geese. It is a real experience to see so many of them in the air at one time. The first time I saw this was last year.

View attachment 17846

View attachment 17847

View attachment 17848

View attachment 17849

Then these swans flew over. I am pretty sure they are Trumpeter swans and not Tundra's but I may be wrong.

View attachment 17850

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man I know I would have forgotten what I should do and what buttons to push if I ran into a group of geese like that not to mention the eagle WOW.

No matter what I capture (and I'm not complaining, really) I want an Eagle in the wild ......... what a bird !!!

thanks so much for sharing them and raising my blood pressure :biggrin:

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nothing wrong at all with these shots Jim. The geese and swans are great, but like Ben, I really love the Eagle. The Eagle mating pair from last year just returned to the nest here at the dam. I got a few shots Saturday, and look forward to going back next weekend for more. :smile:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,
    All the shots are fantastic.

Yes love the EAGLE shots. Just something about Eagles.

WOW

Hey it is nature, no offense. Post them all......

5. Nice series Jim. We get a flock of snow geese that stop in our neighborhood during their migration. There must be millions of them! At least it seems that way. We also have a small flock at a local lake that must stay year around; some have wing damage. I get to shoot them fairly regularly. As they move from place to place, the injured ones run as the healthy ones fly. It's a sight to see.

The eagle shots are quite clear. I like them a lot!

Thanks for posting!

6. Thanks all for your kind comments. It was fun watching the eagle devoure that poor snow goose. I am sure it filled him up for a long time. I wish I could have shot at a lower ISO but am happy they came out at all. I am still after a good flight shot. I am hoping this will be the year I get one. I may even get to go to Homer in a few weeks. That would be awesome for sure.

7. What a cool site that must've been to see that huge flock take flight! Neat shots! Also like the Eagle shots. You looked pretty close. Don't recall which lens you use...500?

Those swans look huge! Amazing they can even fly.

8. Callie

Callie Guest

Well Jim
    This sure is nice! Love your bold Baldie, and hey, that is what geese are good for, to feed the raptors. As mentioned this is nature, so post the rest
    Do n ot know the last swan - have never seen this one
    TFS

9. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    you guys are making me very jelous with your bird shots.... need to get some long glass and some time to take some more shots.. these are very nice..used to see flocks like that in my home state of North Dakota..not so many big flocks here in CT.. again great pictures.. really enjoyed them

Tim

10. Thanks Kevin. Yes I was using the Sigma 500 4.5 with the D2X. I had to use ISO 800 and so I am fairly happy. I wish the light had been better but at least the eagles were around. The geese are amazing to see and the swans are pretty darn big. I am hoping the new firm well will only make things better. Thanks again.

11. Thanks Callie. I may well post a few more images. It was fun to watch that eagle sit there and eat that darn goose, feathers and all. At least it wasn't my lunch time!!!

12. Thanks Tim. It is a real treat to see this many birds at one time for sure. The fly over in the evening was great, too bad it was so dark out. Thanks for looking.

13. No shortage of food for this guy. Your shots are in the WOW category and I like them all.

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I don't Get It?

How in the world can you not be happy with these shots?

I would be tickled pink if I'd shot them!

15. So thats where my Snow Geese have gone!!!!!! Great shots

16. pretty powerful series here James.
    Dave

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    marvelous Jim