Returning my 50 1.8G

I wanted to love it, and I was completely ready to Craigslist my 1.4D the moment I picked up the 1.8G, but it just doesn't do anything better than my 1.4D. I've done lots of testing over the past week. Sharpness at all apertures at a lot of different distances, ability to focus in bad lighting, auto focus speed, bokeh........

As bad as I wanted to keep it, because it looks so much better than the 1.4D on my D3 :tongue:, it just...............doesn't perform any better.

Sharpness is basically identical at all apertures. I think the AF is slightly faster on the 1.4D. AF accuracy is the same. They both nail focus every time.

Advantages of the 1.4D:
1. Ever so slightly faster AF
2. Larger maximum aperture of f1.4
3. Better actual light transmission (T-stop)

Advantages of the 1.8G:
1. Uhhhhhhmmmmmmm.......anyone who doesn't know any better will be super envious of my new, fancy 50............seriously, I got nothin'. It has no advantages that I can see.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Did the 1.8G not have a significantly quieter focus motor...? Just wondering if this could be an advantage. Quieter focus motor is a huge advantage for what I usually shoot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did the 1.8G not have a significantly quieter focus motor...? Just wondering if this could be an advantage. Quieter focus motor is a huge advantage for what I usually shoot.
Yes, focus is near silent on the 1.8G. That's of no advantage for me though. The shutter/mirror is pretty loud on my D3. The sound of the 1.4D focusing doesn't even phase me.

Real Name
Randy
very interesting......I had the 50 1.4D and loved it, now I have the G and it's a great lens as well but IMO no better that the D but it does have AFS
Everyone kept telling me how much better the 1.8G was so I just took their word.

I also prefered 50/1.4d to 1.8G. And I have a Sigma 50/1.4 too, which is much better than both Nikkors wide open (and up to f/2.8), but not nearly as fast as 1.4d on my D3

Hmmm ...Interesting Comments.

I currently have both the 50 1.4D and the 50 1.8G. (50mm is the most used FL)
Always have liked my 1.4D since 2006 , but I bought the 1.8G because the folks I trust say its the better lens.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about which lens is better.

-Jason

Hmmm ...Interesting Comments.

I currently have both the 50 1.4D and the 50 1.8G.
Always have liked my 1.4D since 2006 , but I bought the 1.8G because the folks I trust say its the better lens.
That's the same reason I picked up the 50 1.8G. Everyone said it was above and beyond the best Nikon 50. But it's not.

I have the 50mm 1.4D and 50mm 1.8G. both are similar. But for me the 1.8G has the
seal at the lens mounting for better moisture resistance.

I think all the praise for the 50mm 1.8G doesn't mean it is much better than the 1.4D. Recently someone posted "blind" side by side comparisons and I preferred the 1.8G, but it wasn't a day and night difference, plus they could be made more similar in PP.

I think the main reason the 1.8G is recommended so much is because it is excellent and sharp, has the quiet focus motor and it costs significantly less than either 1.4 version.

In the end it's a matter of preference.
To me, f/1.4-f/1.7 is not critical, the quieter focus motor is a huge advantage, the quality is excellent (at least as good as the other AF 50mm lenses IMO) and it's significantly cheaper which is a nice bonus. I think that's the way most people see it and that's why so many recommend it.
If you don't care about the quieter motor or anything else about this lens, it wouldn't really be an upgrade to the 1.4D.

That's the same reason I picked up the 50 1.8G. Everyone said it was above and beyond the best Nikon 50. But it's not.
In general, all 50's are good. So its down to slight differences in performance and characteristics that matter to the individual.
Although I like the sharpness and rendering of my 1.4D (subjective), my 1.8G does have less veiling flare that can affect sharpness and micro contrast in some situations. It also has the more precise AFS motor for slight changes in suject distance, and it should be sharper from edge to edge.
So, for some tasks, I pull out the 1.4D, and for other tasks I pull out the 1.8G. But there are tasks where I can't see a difference between the two.

I think if Nikon were to make a high end 50 like an AFS 50 1.2 Nano, more of us would see the difference in IQ.

I think if Nikon were to make a high end 50 like an AFS 50 1.2 Nano, more of us would see the difference in IQ.

If it had fast AF (ala, 50 1.4D), that would be a must buy for me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom