Returning to Film (F100)

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by NikonConvert, May 28, 2007.

1. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Hey Everyone =)

I wanted to share the experience I had with my return to film after using digital exclusively for over 6 years (Fuji 6900, Fuji S2, Nikon D2H, Nikon D200). I had been wanting to going back to film for some time. When I found a new / boxed F100 on Ebay for a very reasonable price and decided to go for it.

A few days later it arrived at work and I quickly put it all together (Camera, Batteries, Lens, Strap and Film). Fortunately it was a Friday so I had another 2 days to explore with the new toy... Before I show you what I got from my first roll here is a picture that I couldn't resist taking of the beast in all it's glory =)

503725386_3024afb75a_o.

This first image was taken as I was escaping the confines of Amsterdam on the bicycle to search for more pretty locations. Outer Amsterdam is surrounded by a large motorway ring road (A10), you can see the motorway barrier on the left of this image (Below). A good friend (Cesare) kindly re-scanned this slide for me on his 'Epson Perfection V100'. I had the shop that developed the film make some scans too (since I don't have a scanner yet) but I was very disappointed with the results.

516140568_da0a06c4b7_o.

This 'typical Amsterdam shot' (Below) was the last image on the roll and I didn't expect it to come out. Scanned by Cesare on the 'Epson Perfection V100'.

View attachment 98034

Also scanned on the 'Epson Perfection V100' by Cesare: This was the penultimate exposure from the roll (Below). I made this one B&W with Photoshop as i thought it suited the image better. I really like these older trams, they have much more character than the newer, bigger and more plastic ones.

View attachment 98035

This is one of the the poor shop scans. I have had to do a lot of work to this to combat the high contrast and heavily clipped levels. I saw her wearing this red bow before and asked her to put it on for this test shot. mainly because it's pretty but also to test the colours from the Fuji Sensia slides. I used a 'makeshift' reflector (white piece of paper) to bounce some light back into Michi's face here (Below).

View attachment 98036

Film: Fuji Sensia 100
    Lens: Nikon 50mm F:1.4

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Your photos really have that beautiful film aspect. They make me want to load my film camera right now ! :biggrin:

I even really like that first shot !!

3. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thanks Julien =). I am glad I was able to evoke that feeling for you on my very first roll =). Although I feel I must point out that the image of the F100 was taken with digital, I almost feel guilty for posting that one. Maybe I should have bought another film body so that I could keep it all analogue =))

4. Very nice images! Film is special, eh?

5. These are very nice.

6. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    I also have a mint F100 I got off ebay a while ago. As far as film slr's go it's close to perfect in my opinion.

You'll enjoy the camera for sure :)

That last photo is a beautiful picture of a gorgeous lady.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Congrats Edd!

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    By 1st photo i meant the 1st film photo of course :wink:

But that F100 looks nice too. How much does that go for these days in Europe ?

9. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thanks everyone for the very kind comments =)

Julien: I paid 300 euros for the F100 (New). It was cheaper than the 2nd hand ones in any of the shops here. In one shop they even had a new one so I asked how much it was. When the guy found the price on the computer his eyes almost popped out of his head... 1,650 Euros, he even confessed that no-one would ever buy it at that price so he offered it to me for 1,200. I just said "That's interesting but no thanks" and took my money to ebay =).