Reunited with a 300mm VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Mitchell, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I finally have a new 300mm VR. I've missed this lens since my old one was stolen 2 months ago.

A short walk in a local park reminded me just how versatile and fun this lens can be.
    Birding...
    [​IMG]

Wide open
    [​IMG]

Macro
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all handheld wide open with VR on. Minimal PP on these. This lens just has great IQ.

2. More beautiful shots!! I have never regretted the day that I bought my 300mm f/2.8 VR. It is a fantastic lens!

3. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Really nice. You've convinced me, overwhelmingly. I just have to find a way...

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Mitchell,

Incredible images!!!!! You really have a great eye.

Thanks for your PM asking about my new 300VR! Here are a few images from my back yard (talk about humbling, following your images!!!):

D2X Handheld:

165553253-L.

[​IMG]

D200 Handheld:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats to Mitch and John, so glad that you both have your 300mm's. It is such a fine piece of glass, I had no idea just how wonderful this lens was until I recieved mine. Mitch, no more drama, keep both eyes on this one!!!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shots Mitch

7. Congrats, Mitch, glad all is right with your world again. :smile: Nice images!

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky

Thank you very much, Frank! I love the feel of the 300VR. It is amazingly similar to the 200/2.0! I intend to use it mostly handheld.

Thanks again, Mitchell, for your PM encouragement to post images! (Did your first images have to be MASTERPIECES?) LOL!! :actions1:

And thanks to Don (Donzo98) and JohnR for your very kind PMs encouraging me to post images, even when I did not have confidence that I was ready. You guys are friends, indeed!

9. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I feel the same... enjoy the lens!! :smile::smile:

10. Hey Mitch -

I hope that you didn't need to cough up the full replacement cost of your stolen lens - many happy returns.

Hey John (and Frank and Connie) -

You *do* realize that you are helping to spread the endemic LLD with those shots, don't you? I'm especially susceptible having seen John Palmer carry that (and about 40 lbs. of other gear - LOL!) around out in New Mexico . . .

Good on ya' both . . .

Eric

11. Hey, John, those are very nice shots indeed! No need to be shy about showing your work!

The 300mm f/2.8 handheld.... Well, yes, it DOES kind of feel like the 200mm f/2, although that lens seems to be a bit shorter and bulkier, giving her excellent balance on the camera body. Today I was out at a local botanical gardens and had taken my 300mm f/2.8 along, although I was anticipating spending most of my time in shooting macros, which I did. I thought maybe I might spot the GBH that Rich, Mark and I had seen the last time, but no such luck.... However, I ran into a situation where I did pull out the 300mm -- more for its reach than anything else -- and decided to handhold it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that yes, I could do it...but not for too long. Haven't looked at the results yet so don't know how successful I was. There were some water lilies out in the pond and I needed the longer reach of that lens but there wasn't a good way or good location to use the tripod, so handheld "Arnie" instead....

This is one heckuva gorgeous lens!

12. John, nice shots!!

I particularly like the cardinal looking in the opposite direction as the sculpture. Keep on posting. This lens takes some practice, but it is well worth the effort.

13. Don't worry, Frank. I'm not leaving this one unattended in my car.:eek:

14. Thanks for looking, Connie.

Sorry to do that to you!:cool:

Thanks Gale. Truly a lucky walk in the park today. Great variety and decent lighting.

Thanks, Dave. I really missed having this lens.

15. 100% crop, right out of the camera with no PP or sharpening. Hand held and wide open!:eek: An incredible lens!!!

[​IMG]