Reversed 28mm....

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Jun 19, 2005.

1. I put a 12 mm tube on the camera then duct taped an old Yashica 28 mm lens reversed and went out in the yard to try it out, manual metering and flash, I used the built in flash with a diffuser made from a milk bottle.

I used f11, it was heavilly overcast so the viewfinder was pretty dark hand held and braced myself on whatever was handy.

The ant and flowers are full frame and the fly is cropped. The frame is about 9 mm wide so magnification is around 3:1.

25397082-L.
    25397081-L.
    25397080-L.
    25397079-L.
    25397078-L.

Martin

2. The one I like the most are 2-3 and 4. The colors are really nice and the picture are tack sharp.

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Very nice work!
    Love the profile fly pic. Subtle, yet sharp. Good job.
    Jerry Snider

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    that is truly excellent.

Have heard about reversing lenses before. Never tried it though.

You did a fantastic job.

5. Beautiful work, as always, Martin! What is the subject of image #2? I couldn't quite figure out what it is.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. The profile of the fly is "otherworldly". The beauty of it is stunning.

7. Hi Virginia, thanks for the comment, #2 is the flower bud of a Osteospermum just starting to open up.

Martin

8. Thanks Mark, its amazing what you can get with an old cheap lens.

Martin

9. Thanks Gale, it was my first time reversing a lens, I have played with stacking lenses for more magnification but it gets long and cumbersome, the reversed lens right on the camera is nice and lightweight, only problem is you loose all metering on a D70 and you have to look through the aperture already in its closed position.

Martin

10. Thanks Jerry, I still don't have a picture of that flash bracket but I will do it soon.

Martin

11. Thanks Gilles, apprectiate the comment.

Martin

12. Martin,

I really like the fly images. That is really amazing. I tried to photograph hornets yesterday with the 70-200+500 D, 60mm micro, and the 70-180mm. I got a few good images, but nothing with detail like these. Outstanding!

13. Thanks Crystal, working distance is only a couple of inches so not something I would try with Hornets unless it was cold out and they were very drowsy. :)

The flies eyes were the size of a head of a pin so I think it brought the detail out nicely.

Martin

14. Wow, what a magnification! Must be very hard to manualfocus!

Great work!

Wouldn't it be possible to put a 6T or a 500D in front of your 200 f4 micro to get a similar magnification?

15. Wow Martin, this is one amazing shot!! Superb detail!
    25397079-L.

16. Thanks Michael, yes the focus is very hard through the dim viewfinder, the 6T on the 200 f4 micro will give me 2:1 and its a very nice setup but it is very heavy and the depth of field is very small.

I was just playing around trying different things.

Martin

17. Great work Martin. Your setup works fantastic.
    Pete

18. Thanks Pete, its tricky but I am getting better at it already, got another nice fly today.

Martin

19. Great shots Martin....just unbelievable sometimes !! Keep 'em coming... :)

20. Great, great, great!!!
    I once reversed my 28/2.0, but did not try hard enough to get decent results. Your pics are motivating though. The fly is mind-boggling.
    If you want to make another experiment, try to reverse-mount the lens to a tele lens. This will yield even stronger magnification, but I'm afraid the working distance would be so small that you touch the antennae of the fly :lol:
    Cheers