Reverting to Nef

Is there anyway to revert Modified tiff images to nef and re-shrink them in the process? I have tried saving as NEF but the filesize remains the same.
Need to sort it for archiving images after PP.
Thanks

Chaz,

Since no one has replied yet, you might rightly assume that it isn't possible. We are talking about post processed final versions I assume?

But a couple of ways I can think of to cut down filesize are:

1. Convert to JPEG and save that. There is always data loss when saving and reopening JPEG files, but I think it really takes a number of them to make a visible difference. Since you are talking about archived files we can assume that you never do anything but read them which shouldn't create any problem.

2. Get a program like Genuine Fractals which lets you save a lossless compressed version. The file size savings isn't as great as with JPEG. GF is relatively expensive and I understand there are cheaper ones or even freeware that will help do what you want.

Personally, memory options like CD, DVD, and especially hard drives, are so cheap today that I would rather just save the TIFFs.

Good luck.

I just opened a tiff file. Saved it back as an .nef format. It is the same size as the tiff file. 34 megs..

Hope that answers your question

Hi Gale,

My D70 NEF files are about 5-6MB, but when I open them they are about 34MB. I think he wants to take the 34MB TIFF file and reconvert it to a 5-6MB NEF. Kind of like putting the genie back into the bottle.

What happens when you reopen the 34MB NEF in Capture or ACR?

Regards

sfoxjohn said:
Kind of like putting the genie back into the bottle.

I was always under the impression that you can't save NEF again (at least with PS-CS2). I thought that once NEF has been opened you can't recompress it and save it as NEF again... any other supported format, sure... just not NEF. As far as the size change, I think you're looking at the "compressed" NEF over the expanded version. I think the genie reference is correct...

Try saving TIFF in the various compression schemes (JPG, LZW, etc.). Also, if you're expanding to 16-bit mode or have lots of layers, that's going to inflate the file size, big time...

BTW: I think that ACR will only open camera raw files. You can't force it to interpret your TIFF.

Right you can not resave the size of an NEF once converted to tiff.
In NC you can work on the file and save as nef and it will be same size as the original NEF. Then you can open in either ACR or NC.
If you change an NEF in ACR and save as an ACR raw it will be 34 megs.
So jpg, compression or resave original in NC as nef ro retain sizes smaller.
Notice also originals in NC are NEF and processed will be nef. (small letters) That way you can tell which have been processed.

Then we get cameras with even bigger files :>))))))

Latest threads

Top Bottom