Review of Blurb's Layflat Photo Books

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I build my pages separately and move images which spread across the binding slightly apart —providing extra trim for each image in the centre. (There is a formula for setting the correct distance.)
I've done this by guessing and I've tried to keep the two-page spreads limited to a position somewhat in the center of the book. What's the formula?

Last edited:
Mike:
I hope this extract from my saved notes will help:

In InDesign:
If you use 2-page spreads, submit TWO copies of the image and offset each away from the spine by between 13 and 22 Points (depending on total page count) because 45 points (about 5/8") of the centre part of your image will be swallowed by the Gutter and the binding trim. Obviously you expand the image on the binding-edge to bleed it into the trim-line

Also plan carefully so that a smoother and less detailed part of the image actually crosses the spine: you should avoid putting a face in the gutter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you use 2-page spreads, submit TWO copies of the image and offset each away from the spine by between 13 and 22 Points (depending on total page count) because 45 points (about 5/8") of the centre part of your image will be swallowed by the Gutter and the binding trim.
Thanks. I was hoping you were aware of a formula that is more specific. I've been planning on losing about 1/2" and I've also been using images that aren't critical at the point where the two pages meet. That has worked well so far and is consistent with your method, so I'm a happy camper.

Publishers use a formula based on paper BULK (as opposed to weight); the number of pages; the kind of binding and cover. They have calculators which can display the exact numbers to use based on those values.

If your Publisher is unable to give you guidance on the matter but you can put your hands on a book with the same specifications as the one you have planned, you should be able to make an informed judgement of the amount of displacement you need to allow. On a thick book with heavy paper, I reckon on losing 5/8" in the spine (so 5/16" from each adjoining page).

The method and the numbers which I posted have worked for me and they should put you in the right ball-park anyway.

I got the same response.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Much better. Thanks. A few of those pictures look familiar and they're all great!
Nick, thanks for taking a look.

Nice job on the book Mitch, not sure how I’d feel landing on the beach though, but looks like a great time.
The beach landing was quite smooth but just a bit tilted. Easier than the water.

Wonderful photographs and a splendid record of what was obviously a super week among the bears!
Ann, thanks for looking and the kind comments. It was a spectacular week. I can't wait to get back there.

I needed to do a lay-flat book a number of years a go with both a time and budget constraint. Ended up using Adoramapix (now Printique) and was quite surprised with the quality of the book and printing. I have not tried Blurb, but I would give Printique consideration if I had to do another one. Glad to now that Blurb is an option as well.

--Ken
I have used Adoramapix to make a few books, and they all came out terrific. I have not used them since they switched to Printique.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom