Revisiting an old friend

Discussion in 'People' started by Ottrott's Human, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    This was one of my first "keepers" when I took up DSLR photography. It remains one of my favorite captures, but in revisiting it today I realized how far my PP skills had come since I originally edited this photo.

Here is an updated version of one of my all time favorites of my youngest:

Nikkor 85 f/1.4 shot at 1.4 and 1/40 sec handheld
    1044410074_43c2b7655c_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  2. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    I can see why this is one of your fav....it is simply beautiful! And so is your youngest. Love the compo, the lighting and your conversion. Great work here Stu!

3. I agree 100% Banhup.

4. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Stu,
    Low light photgraphy is not easy, but you have shown us it can be done and done well. Thanks for sharing a wonderful photo.

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thank you very much Banhup.

I had just gotten my first piece of pro glass when this was taken. At the time I really thought I was supposed to used the 85mm 1.4 *at* 1.4!!:biggrin:

You can probably imagine my frustration trying to get anything in focus! This was the first shot that was half way descent with my new lens.

Glad you liked it!

Thanks Roy!:smile:

Definitely need a steady hand and some luck, but it *can* be done!!:smile:

Thanks!

6. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia

7. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that had trouble at the first with their 85mm f1.4 lens. I almost sent mine back but I am glad I did not. I remember this shot Stuart and yes your processing skills have definitely improved over the ensuing time. Nice shot for sure.

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Gordon! I haven't really gotten any/much better shooting this lens at 1.4, but at least now I know to stop down to at least f/2!:biggrin:

I've been going back to older shots and reprocessing the raw images. It's actually a lot of fun!

9. Stu, loved that shot originally, and you've made it even better with this go-round...

10. What a pretty image Stuart! A keeper for the ages.
    I need to take out my (Ai-S) 85/1.4 more often. It is soooo nice...

11. tcgoggans

tcgoggans Guest

Quite lovely sir, both the child and the image.

12. renaud

renaud

May 14, 2006
    Superbe
    Bravo

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks John. I think I have decided I actually prefer the color version which I never posted. I think the Rembrandt lighting combined with the colors gives it the feel of a painting. What do you think?
    1044410128_30d7043f74_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  14. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks TC!

Thank you Renaud!! Much appreciated.

15. Stu, I really do like this...maybe even more than the original BW...I love the warm feel of the leather, her skin, and the yellow shirt...and those blue eyes of hers...

Yeah, I think I'm with you...

Which does Sam prefer?

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

well, my first post didn't stick. Hope a dupe doesn't show up...

Stuart, this is not an age appropriate pose for a 6 (?) year old. Its more or less a fine image technically but it doesn't ring true for the norm at this age.

Perhaps your daughter is mateur for her age, and after looking at your images of her over the past few years I'd guess that; but otherwise this just doesn't click for me no matter how well rendered. Children generally don't look like 30 year old sevants.

17. Nice to see one of Sam again, even if it's an older one. I tend to prefer the colour one, although I admit I might not be the best to ask as I generally tend to prefer colour shots.

18. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I had both of these printed as 5X7's for her grandparents. The Mpix package arrived today.......Sam definitely prefered the color version.:smile:

:657:....TaDa!

Thanks for your input Daniel.........much appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  19. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    This is a wonderful shot Stuart. I love both the color and the B&W - both images are magic.

20. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Fred!!:biggrin: