Rex, Alice & Mason looking for an eagle

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Mason, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Rex and Alice came over to my area this past weekend as part of a little get-away for Alice’s birthday. They did a little shooting at the dam near me, and then we met up Saturday morning to look for an eagles nest that I have heard a few people talking about. I had not seen a eagle since I was a little kid a the Kennedy. The eagle was too far for me to get a decent picture with the 300 + 1.4TC, but I think we were all just excited to see a eagle. Rex was eager to check out his new 300VR and I hope he has some shots to share with us.

We passed this on the way to the next:
    [​IMG]

These are 100% crops of a D200 + 300 + 1.4 TC. Not good I know, but just exciting confirmation that there are eagles within ten miles of my house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rex & Alice checking out the nest:
    [​IMG]

2. Good stuff Mason! Nice to see you hanging out with the Smith's, it sure looks like you had some nice subjects to shoot. Having these critters around is a fine excuse to get that Big Bad 600mm....:smile:

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Hey Mason. We had a lot of fun. The Eagle was a lot of fun. We really needed Larry's 600. They were kind of far off. It was a great experience for Alice and myself.

We went to Waterloo after we left Florence. We didn't find any there. There are several groups that winter around there. We will have to try that out next winter.

I will post some of our shots when I have time. I took a ton of shots at the Zoo yesterday. The daughters in law want me to go through them first.

Thanks for showing us such a good time.

4. That's pretty cool that the three of you had the chance to shoot together again, and pretty neat to see the eagle's nest, too.

5. Thanks Frits, but I am on gear acquisition lockdown! The 300 as you can see just wasn’t getting it done, but I don’t feel too bad. If it had not been for Rex, I would not have even seen the nest. All I could see was a white spec that was the eagles head. That 1.5 crop factor sure is handy for birding, eh?

It was a lot of fun, and as I told Rex & Alice, I really don’t get out and do any wildlife shooting by myself just because that isn’t one of my main subjects. I really enjoy being out, but it is a lot more fun with others. I am going to try to do a better job of keeping up with the folk that are nearby.