Reykjavik & The Blue Lagoon, Iceland

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Jun 30, 2007.

1. For those of you still following these threads, you are FINALLY at the last day. :wink: :mad:

The National Geographic Endeavour docked near downtown Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland. Since we did not have to be at the airport until 2:15PM, Lindblad had arranged a walking tour of Reykjavik.

It is a modern town with a population of about 120,000, almost 1/3 of Icceland's total population. It is the northermost national capital in the world and was founded in 870 by the Vikings.

[​IMG]

This building is the current home of the world's oldest parliment founded in 930:
    [​IMG]

There is a crown from the time when Iceland was part of Denmark on top of the building:
    [​IMG]

If you go there, allow more time than we had to see the Icelandic Culture House. It has an entire floor devoted to Surtsey Island and another floor on Icelandic Sagas and the early history of the country. It is very well done!

We then went to the Blue Lagoon for lunch and a possible swim (not us :wink:). This has become a destination spa, but was developed using the warm water left from a geothermal power plant. We had lunch there. Lindblad paid the bill, but I think it was very expensive. Nan saw T-shirts on sale in the shop that were almost $100 :eek: (again not us:rolleyes:)

They cut through this lava field from an eruption in 1226 to make the walkway to the Blue Lagoon:
    [​IMG]

The pool of hot water:
    [​IMG]

Steam vents in the background:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside of the paid area is more of the lagoon:
    [​IMG]

Here is the power plant, a quarter mile or so away:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for sticking around to the end!
    Bob & Nan

2. Great shots! About 20 years ago, I spent a week and a half at NAS Keflavik. Unfortunately, I was never able to get off base to go explore the island. The cost of living was outrageous, even back then. I'd still like to get back and visit again someday. Keep the pictures coming!

3. Thanks Bob for bringing these wonderful images to us as this may be the only way most of us will ever see places like this. They were truly enjoyable.

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks again Bob & Nan for documenting and sharing this adventure with us. I'm curious -- what was the image count this time?

5. Hi Bob,

It looks like we brought home 5760 shots on the CF cards, Thats with 2 shooters and 3 cameras

D-70 (mostly with 70-300VR) 3009 shots (The whales made up a lot of these)

D-100 (18-200 in towns - 70-200 + 1.7TC for birds) 2474 shots

Olympus 770SW (P&S) 277 shots (in the wet, or if I had the long lenses on the cameras and did not want to switch lenses)

I still have 3973 of the 5760 in the catalog. You can delete whole groups of whale shots taken far away once the ship gets you closer to the action. I processed about 600 "keepers", most good, some just to add to the story in the posts here.

Thank goodness for digital... that would have been 160 rolls of 36 exposure film :eek:

I try to keep track so that I will know how much memory to take on the next adventure.

Thanks,
    Bob

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I followed your series. Very interesting and some great shots in there. We never should have given Iceland their independence. :biggrin: