RGB or sRGB for Web use ?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, May 23, 2005.

1. OK, so now i have a problem: i thought, after having showed my pics for years "as is", eg. saved in Adobe RGB (same as my screen profile), i tried, following "expert's" advice, to convert them in sRGB (for Web use), as it seems that most of sites ar buid with sRGB settings... I found that, effectively, the colors apears more contrasted and brighter in this mode, but the following pic, that i post-processed as usual, and saved once in "normal" RGB and a copy in sRGB, looks far too "colored" on my screen !

So now i'm puzzled... What is the best way ? If i want to print a pic, the best -from what i heard- is in RGB, so it will look the same as what i see on my screen... but if i upload it in sRGB, then i should set my screen for sRGB too ? So what is the solution, if there is one ?

Pic #1, shot RAW, then saved in "normal" RGB:
    original.

and #2, converted in sRGB:
    original.

Your opinion, please ?

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jean-Pierre,

I've gone back and forth between these two color spaces for my web postings. Started out in sRGB, went to Adobe RGB for a while, but am back to sRGB now. Everyone will tell you that web browsers are not color space aware, and that you should always post in the smaller gamut of sRGB. I find that to be true most of the time.

In the example that you have shown, I like the sRGB example a tad better, but both are beautiful.

3. Hi Jean-Pierre,

From my own experience, and recommendation from many others, sRGB is definitely the colour space to use for web publishing. The main reason as mentioned already is the fact that most web browsers are not colour space aware.

What you can do is compare the image you are editing (in Adobe RGB) in your editing software (PhotoShop say), and a browser window showing the same image (saved in Adobe RGB) side-by-side. You will notice the colour differences on screen between the two windows.

If you save the image in sRGB, then view this new image using the web browser side-by-side next to the editor, you should notice that the colour differences are no longer there.

Regards,
    Jonathan