Rhino - Sometimes You Get Lucky!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Nov 2, 2005.

1. We had an interesting experience with the White Rhinos in Zambia.

We were on safari around the Mosi-o-Tunya Zoological Park in Zambia and had several good wildlife encounters. We finally saw a White Rhino maybe 75 yards off the road (tracks really). Here was the best photo from the safari vehicle. He was back in some brush and this was the best view we got.
    D-70 80-400 VR @400mm
    42781291-L.

Not a good view with small branches in the way and head-on and lying down.
    There were four frustrated shooters in the vehicle; Nan (D-70 80-400VR) & Bob (D-100 70-200 + 1.7TC), a fellow with a D2X 80-400VR, and a Cannon DSLR shooter.

We were stuck between two rules:
    1) You are not allowed to get out of the vehicle
    2) The driver is not allowed to drive off the beaten path

Our luck started to change-
    There are only two White Rhinos in the park and they are so threatened by poaching that they each have their own armed guard 24/7. One of the guards came over to our vehicle and asked the driver if he could have some water. Our driver had plenty in a cooler for us and gave him a couple of bottles.

There was some discussion between the driver and guard, not in English. Our driver turned around and said the guard had noted all the big camera gear and had invited us to walk back with him to see the Rhino's close-up, if we were interested :cool: . I'm sure they never saw four people never get out so fast :biggrin:

So we were told to follow the guard single file and got very close. Note the jump from 400mm to 80mm :tongue: The rhino cooperated and stood up for us. About this time you realize the guard with the big rifle has it to shoot us if we bother the rhino, not the other way around. :eek:
    D-70 80-400VR at 80mm
    39209939-L.

There was the second rhino lying down next to the first. We we were so close I could not get this one in the frame with the 70-200 + 1.7TC, even at 120mm.
    D-70 80-400VR at 80mm
    39210058-L.

There was plenty of zoom left for nice head shots.
    D-100 70-200 AFS-VR + 1.7TC @ 320mm
    39210968-L-1.

A neat experience to say the least!
    Bob & Nan

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

You guys (and gals) that made these fantastic safaris to Africa are starting to irritate me with all of your great shots and stories. I think we need to make a rule. No more trips or pics unless you take me along. :biggrin:

Excellent series and excellent story. Still makes me envious though. :rolleyes:

3. WOW what a neat experience Bob. Can I go with next time???

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    If you take flew you gotta take me tooooo :>))
    Oh sorry Flew, thats the rules.

Great stuff Bob.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Gale, I could live with that. Don't know whether Bob & Nan could handle two nuts at once though. :eek:

6. These are wonderful shots and a fascinating story. For those who have not seen it, there is a riveting African Safari travelogue with photos at Digital Grin.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I second that !!! :wink:

8. Wonderful story and pics. I especially like that head shot.