Rhode Island Airshow, June 23, 2007

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PistolPete, Jun 24, 2007.

1. A perfect day weather-wise, low humidity and cool. And most importantly, the sun was behind the crowd for the entire afternoon show.

Saw an equal amount of Nikon and Canon gear. A few guys up front had heavy duty hardware, DX2s, 300mm f/2.8 VR, Gitzo CF pods and Arca Swiss heads.

However, it seems like a tripod/ballhead rig won't work too well with jets moving quickly overhead. I noticed at the end of the day they all went handheld. Maybe a Wimberly setup would be better, but it get way too crowded for such a setup probably.

Here are some of my shots with a D200 and a 300 f/4AF non-AF-S.

I'll add more as they get processed.

original.
    View attachment 102432
    View attachment 102433
    View attachment 102434
    View attachment 102435
    View attachment 102436
    View attachment 102437

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice
    Ohhhh yes they are fasst:>)))))

3. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Very nice photo's Pete.

Best regards
    Andy

4. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Great shots Pete...I would be willing to bet that the tarmac was pretty "soft" after lighting his afterburners that close!

6. Oh Pete, GORGEOUS!!! I had really wanted to go to this, but decided that trying to get any good shooting done, with a 2yr old in tow, would have been a recipe for disaster. Sigh........ woulda been right there with ya with D200 and 300/4. :smile:

7. Nice shots Pete...love the afterburners...

Here are a few of mine from Saturday at the Rhode Island ANG air show

Karl

8. Great shots kps9999. Looks like you traveled a long way from Long Island too!

Looks like you got the "crossing" shot with the Blues!

Everyone else, thank you for the comments!

I'll be posting more tonight, so many pictures to process...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  9. GREAT shots Pete!
    I for one go totally hand held at air shows with my 200-400. I saw lots of heavy gear at this last show I did and they were on sturdy tripods with full Wimberlys...I am SURE I got more keepers and more shots in general simply do to the mobility. They looked frustrated when I was getting in my truck to leave as they were packing up. The Thunderbirds changed landing directions at the last minute...

10. Cool F-15 straightup lift off..

11. Whew! I had to get the rest of the pictures done before bed tonight, otherwise work would suffer tomorrow!

Thanks for the comments Brian. Now you've planted the seed in my head for a 200-400mm... I must resist...

The next show I have planned will be the NAS Oceana show in VA. This show includes a Friday night twilight show beginning @ 7AM. I haven't even begun to figure out how to get shots of things moving this fast in that kind of light. All I want is one long afterburner shot and is not fuzzy!!! Is that too much to hope for?

If there Cafe members in the Virginia Beach area with recommendations on where to stay or tips for this show, I'd appreciate it!

Onto the pictures!

Here is my favorite shot of the entire day, a P-51 Mustang and a F-22 Raptor, one of the earliest Air Force planes flying beside the latest one. I needed the shutter to be at 1/250 to get the prop on the P-51 to blur. It was pure luck this came out sharp. you should see the ones right before and right after!
    original.

View attachment 102455

The Navy Blue Angels demo team:
    View attachment 102456
    View attachment 102457
    View attachment 102458
    View attachment 102459
    View attachment 102460
    View attachment 102461

I'll post some of the camera hardware shots tomorrow (this is a Nikon forum, right?).

Here is the rest of the gallery:

Rhode Island 2007

12. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Pete,
    I'll throw my $.02 in...I agree with Brian...the first airshow I did with my 200-400 I started out with it on a monopod. After the first couple of passes by the t-birds, I got rid of the monopod real quick.
    By the way...resistence is futile...200-400 is an awsome airshow lens...I use mine with the tc-1.7IIE with good results. Only problem, we only get an airshow here every other year, but I am hoping to take a trip with my bro-in-law to fleet week in either san diego or san fran.
    Good luck in VA, and I love the mustang and raptor shot!

13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yep,

the 200-400 is the best airshow lens from Nikon on the planet, And I usually don't say strong statements like that. The ability to shoot with slow shutter with VR, and zoom,

Love mine, but I recall fondly my 300f4 too!

sample pics to help your lust, But I must say, your photos Pete are stupendous, simply super, takes a lot to impress me on aircraft shots and I was extremely Jealous!

Wade

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Oshkosh 06/DSC_6500.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Oshkosh 06/DSC_6488.JPG

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    You did well. I messed up most of my prop shots, too much shutter speed. I really need to re-learn my hand holding tehniques I think I've become too dependent on the VR!

15. Very nice series, well done.

16. Thanks for the compliments everyone, especially Commodorefirst! I've had a great time the last six months using the D200 and playing with Capture NX.

Funny thing, I've been in the IT field since 1991, taking picts since 1987 and it took until 2006 before I got to combine the two areas with a digital SLR.

All the shots were taken with compressed RAW and processed with Capture NX 1.01. I have one 2GB Sandisk Ultra II and another 2GB Extreme III.

The Extreme III really comes into it own when taking fast sequences like this.

I put on a good show for the folks around me when I swap cards and juggle with a Hyperdrive Space unit to download on the fly. I need a third hand to keep up with the action!

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellant captures Pete, all are very well done. Your series makes me eager to get to the Oshkosh Fly-In in a few weeks and the Chicago Air and Water Show in mid-August.

18. mdupont

mdupont

Jun 12, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Great pictures. I was at the JSOH at Andrews in May and became hooked on airshows. Im also heading to Oceana in Sept. Im hoping to have the new D200 by then and will be shooting with a 200 - 400.

Mike

19. A 200-400mm at Oceana? Wow, we definitely have to get together during the show to shoot and compare notes. The folks over at www.airshowbuzz.com are recommending the purchase of bleacher seats tickets if photography is the goal.

You're back from the flightline, but you're also 20 ft up in the air with no obstructions in front of you. I look forward to seeing the twilight show Friday evening. I'm not sure how to capture anything in that light, but I have some time to think about it.

20. A few more

original.
    View attachment 102463
    View attachment 102464
    View attachment 102465

The 300mm is great, but the fixed length can cause some issues with cutting off the sides when the planes are very close.

I need more practice keeping steady while panning quickly. The F-18 shot would have been perfect if I didn't cut the tail off of the left side!

However, the lighting and sharpness was too good for me not to show it.