Rich, this one's for you...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Scott Sherman, Mar 25, 2005.

1. original.

I think you said you were going to Quebec City, Canada. I thought you might find this shot interesting. It is a view from the hotel we were staying at overlooking the new section and some of the old historic section of Quebec City. You can't see much detail but it is an interesting overview to give you a sense of the size and layout of the city.

2. Thank you very much! By way of a coincidence I read an article in the paper today which mentioned that Quebec City was an exceptionally beautiful city. I never knew about the old town. I appreciate your shots and taking the time to post.

Oh, I see it didn't take long for you to figure out how to post pics. Somehow it never seems to take long for any one here to figure THAT out! :lol:

3. Rich, I assume you were able to view the picture I posted of Quebec City. So it's probably not a Mac thing. I wonder what happened in the general discussion forum. People were getting broken link signs on a pano I posted..

Quebec is a walled city that used to be a Fortress City. The French and the English were perpetually at war and later the Americans duing the American Revolution. They still kept the city pretty much intact from it's original construction along with narrow cobbled streets and architecture. I strongly recommend the first day taking a guided bus tour around the city to be able to use your time better during the walking portion and then take the walking tour. The city is small enough thay you can walk it in one day, but to take it all in you need at least two days. Also I see you are into fitness. I recommend walking some hills before going as it involves a lot of steps and hill walks. October/September is probably the ideal time because the leaves are typical of the Canadian East Coast and turn beatiful during fall. We just missed it by about a week or two. There is much to photograph and see. Many many people which makes it difficult for photography as many times your pictures will have people in them which you don't want if you are taking photos for artistic purposes because it looks more like a vacation snapshot with all the pasty untanned people with cameras around their necks.

Speaking of camera gear. I made the mistake of trying to take too much with me and having to lug about 40 pounds of equipment up and down the hills. I strongly recommend picking your favorite wide lens since the streets are narrow and you wind up taking many pictures of buildings from about 15 or twenty feet away which is not enough for the shots you need without a wide. I took a 12-24 and was still frustrated occassionally. I think possibly the 70-200 and a tc instead of the 300 f4, both would be too much.

Maybe in the equipment forum, I would like to ask you a few questions about your kit. I see you have the D2h and the 300 f4 and the 70-200. I am dying to upgrade to a new camera and I also am trying to decide if a longer lense is a better choice. Cannot afford both now, and I also need to make a decision on memory managment. More flash cards or a new digital wallet (P2000 probably)?

I will post some more pictures of Quebec City later. I don't have them on this laptop, they are stored on my desktop at home.

4. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    A beautiful view. Well captured Scott.
    There is alittle bit of sky that could use some blending in ps at the seam.

kind regards.

5. Wow, too much to discuss in one post. I bought the 300 f/4 from one of our own. Since it came we've had overcast skies and/or rain!

I plan on taking the 12-24 and the 35mm f/1.4 for inside cathedrals. I will probably also take the 24-85 f/2.8 since it's light. After buying three successively larger "big" bags in a row I finally used my head and bought a Lowepro Elite AW. It's almost a cube 11" on a side. Right now I've got my D2H, 85mm f/1.4, 12-24mm, tC2, flash, and 24-85mm f/2.8 and the shades. I plan to take the biggest bag to keep everything together, but the Lowepro Elite on daily walks.

Rich

6. Very observant Craig. I actually do appreciate your comments. I love to hear how nice my work is but I need to hear what is not nice about it.

As Governor Arnold said when he was Conan the Barbarian, "what doesn't destroy us makes us stronger".

I actually threw that together fairly quickly just to show Rich the area. He implied he was interested and I thought he would get a kick out if. I was not going so much for artistic excellence.