Richard (and others): Help please with bad sectors

You are not using the USB ports

I'm using the USB port as a matter of convenience. Richard explained that the cloning process takes about the same amount of time as the image backup process, which has been about two hours for the backup and another two hours for the verification. Even if the USB connection is slower than that or slower than if I installed the SSD in the computer to do the cloning, I'm not concerned.

Last edited:
ice tea for the rest of the evening!

I've read all the rules and regulations pertaining to the Cafe Drinking Support Team's protocols and there are no stipulations about what should be drunk, only that something is being drunk. So, your support is every bit as good and certainly every bit as much appreciated as anyone drinking alcoholic beverages. :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I've read all the rules and regulations pertaining to the Cafe Drinking Support Team's protocols and there are no stipulations about what should be drunk, only that something is being drunk. So, your support is every bit as good and certainly every bit as much appreciated as anyone drinking alcoholic beverages. :)
But I started with wine.......! LOL!

Everything worked perfectly the first time. And everything is so much faster!

The cloning took less than two hours using a USB-SATA cable, though I don't know how much less because I was sleeping. That's compared to making an image backup and automatically verifying it also using a USB cable that used to take four hours. It will be interesting to see how long that process takes now that I'm using an SSD, though I may not notice much difference due to the bottleneck I assume is created by the USB cable.

For those who have never used the Samsung Data Migration software that clones the new drive, it couldn't be easier. The software installs quickly and effortlessly. Then you load it, click the refresh button to get the software to recognize the target drive, open a drop down menu to select the source drive, open the other drop down menu to select the target drive, click the Start button and walk away (in my case, go to bed). The software automatically turns off the computer 20 seconds after the cloning is completed.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm glad it went so well.

I'm puzzled because if you cloned the faulty drive doesn't that mean that its bad sectors are now corrupt sectors on the new drive? Perhaps I missed something about what you were doing.

By the way you should now run CrystalDiskInfo, so you can see how it reports on SSDs.

I'm puzzled because if you cloned the faulty drive doesn't that mean that its bad sectors are now corrupt sectors on the new drive? Perhaps I missed something about what you were doing.

I wondered about that as well. Yes, you missed that but I still like you. :D I didn't see any practical way around it because it seemed to be a choice of cloning the defective drive or using the backup that was relatively current but didn't have the files that were added since my last backup occurred.

CrystalDiskInfo indicates "Good 100%" displayed on the blue button. It also indicates the temperature is 27 degrees Celsius, which is three degrees cooler than using the HDD.

If you think I should use a different process, I still have the HDD and the backup external drives.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It is likely that you will not have a problem.
But why not be really safe and plug in the backup and copy all your data files - other than any that you know are older - onto the new disk. That way you will be certain that every one of your files is good.

plug in the backup and copy all your data files - other than any that you know are older - onto the new disk.

My data files are included in the image backup made by Macrium Reflect. Will it be possible to copy them onto the new drive?

I couldn't possibly remember the unimportant files so I wouldn't know whether they are older than the current files. If it's possible to copy the data files from the most recent image backup of the old drive, I'll keep that backup. If I ever have trouble opening an important file, I'll grab it from that image backup. Does that seem reasonable to you?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My data files are included in the image backup made by Macrium Reflect. Will it be possible to copy them onto the new drive?

I couldn't possibly remember the unimportant files so I wouldn't know whether they are older than the current files. If it's possible to copy the data files from the most recent image backup of the old drive, I'll keep that backup. If I ever have trouble opening an important file, I'll grab it from that image backup. Does that seem reasonable to you?
That seems sensible - do nothing - I would keep that backup disk for a year.

To answer your question, one can simply open a Macrium image backup file by double clicking it. Try it. You will find you can drill down and see all your files. They can be copied back to a normal disk.

To answer your question, one can simply open a Macrium image backup file by double clicking it. Try it. You will find you can drill down and see all your files. They can be copied back to a normal disk.

Actually, it was a loaded question relating to my domestic happiness. I had remembered that that can be done because I had remembered doing it upon your advice when I first created an image backup, also using Macrium Reflect at your advice. My wife has often been concerned lately that copying a file from the image backup (as opposed to copying the entire image) would not be possible. It's not possible for me to convey the joy I'll have in printing your post and presenting it to my wife. :ROFLMAO:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Actually, it was a loaded question relating to my domestic happiness. I had remembered that that can be done because I had remembered doing it upon your advice when I first created an image backup, also using Macrium Reflect at your advice. My wife has often been concerned lately that copying a file from the image backup (as opposed to copying the entire image) would not be possible. It's not possible for me to convey the joy I'll have in printing your post and presenting it to my wife. :ROFLMAO:
Even better if you insist on showing her while explaining how you are right. That will really help you.

Latest threads

Top Bottom